Computing in the yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter with a theoretical OG of around 1.09 with a volume of about 1.6 liters. I ended up putting .81lb of light DME into it. I am targeting 1.10 OG or so for my next beer (a Tripel).
Should I take into account this starter when I'm doing my calculations for the boil?

I'm sure other guys will chime in... but a starter over 1.040 is too heavy, 1.030-1.040 is ideal. The point of a starter is to grow up your yeast cell count, not to acclimate it to a big heavy wort. At that gravity the yeast are going to have a tough time multiplying.

Check this out if you haven't already, and try the pitch calulator...

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

This guy knows his stuff.

They don't seem to have a tough time multiplying from what I've noticed. The starter is accumulating a lot of yeast. I was told that you want to have the starter at the same OG as the beer.

They don't seem to have a tough time multiplying from what I've noticed. The starter is accumulating a lot of yeast. I was told that you want to have the starter at the same OG as the beer.

Naaah, 1.040 seems to be the unofficial standard. The purpose of the starter is to get them to multiply and to let them do through the respiration/reproductive phases of their lives without a lot of stress (read: 1.090 OG starter.)

The preferable technique would be to start with a 1.040 starter, then after a couple days crash cool it, decant the liquid (being careful not to pour any of the yeast), and add more starter-wort then you did the first time to get more reproduction.

I heard that the starter gravity needed to match the wort gravity too, but after reading Jamil's thoughts, and others, it made better sense to go with low gravity. If you have the time read through the article I linked... it makes sense, promise.

Not to say that your starter is ruined, just not necessary to use so much DME.

Latest posts

Back