Computer geek friends- help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, most of the desktop computers that lay flat, can also be stood up in a tower method. I think some of the smaller ones have an optional base that helps keep it from falling over.

Yooper, if you ever need help with something, there is a remote access software that you can install called Teamviewer. When you need an expert to log in and show you things, you just give them your passcode and they can log in and move your mouse around and talk you through it.

It's possibly the biggest free remote access software for the home user.

Love teamviewer. Works great from phone, too.

Yooper, if you ever need help with something, there is a remote access software that you can install called Teamviewer. When you need an expert to log in and show you things, you just give them your passcode and they can log in and move your mouse around and talk you through it.

It's possibly the biggest free remote access software for the home user.

Oh, yes, I've used it alot, even at work when we were remote from Home Care to the main IT office.

But, I need someone on the other end. :D

Also, most of the desktop computers that lay flat, can also be stood up in a tower method. I think some of the smaller ones have an optional base that helps keep it from falling over.

Yeah, I have it vertical now. I just have to remember that if I open the DVD drive, the DVD/CD will fall out. :drunk: There is no base, but it's stable.

I am only here to say I am jealous you got 12 years out of a PC. I bought a new quad core about 6 years ago and since then I've already replaced the power supply, maxed out the RAM, replaced the video, added 20x more HD storage, and now I am seriously considering a new one because this one is too slow.

I am only here to say I am jealous you got 12 years out of a PC. I bought a new quad core about 6 years ago and since then I've already replaced the power supply, maxed out the RAM, replaced the video, added 20x more HD storage, and now I am seriously considering a new one because this one is too slow.

Even though I'm on the computer a lot (you may have noticed.......) I'm a pretty light user for most things. Even when I worked at home, I had a few word processing files, but my work itself was in the cloud. I have lots of pictures and music files, but no videos at all and we don't do any photo editing or things like that. I think I had one of the first models of Pentium 4, and it served me very well.

Even though I'm on the computer a lot (you may have noticed.......) I'm a pretty light user for most things. Even when I worked at home, I had a few word processing files, but my work itself was in the cloud. I have lots of pictures and music files, but no videos at all and we don't do any photo editing or things like that. I think I had one of the first models of Pentium 4, and it served me very well.

My kids use the desktop for youtube a lot. Wife uses it for iNet browsing. I use it for sketchup modeling. Beyond that it mostly sits unattended serving up video to all the TV's. Outside of sketchup, the only time I use it is to figure out who fvcked up what.

My wife insists that anytime there is a problem with the machine the only solution is to turn off the anti-virus and firewall. :mad:

Oh, yes, I've used it alot, even at work when we were remote from Home Care to the main IT office.

But, I need someone on the other end. :D

Yeah, I have it vertical now. I just have to remember that if I open the DVD drive, the DVD/CD will fall out. :drunk: There is no base, but it's stable.

Give a shout if you have any questions. I'm not as good working off the top of my head, but if you have Teamviewer, I can probably answer any question or show you what you need to know/do.

And usually those drive have little tabs sticking out around the edge to keep the discs in the tray while it's standing up. Give it a try.

Probably shouldn't mention pluto.tv here. It's kind of a nice timewaster if you like random videos from a variety of genres. it even currently has a Weird Al Yankovic channel streaming his videos 24/7...

Probably shouldn't mention pluto.tv here. It's kind of a nice timewaster if you like random videos from a variety of genres. it even currently has a Weird Al Yankovic channel streaming his videos 24/7...

Well, never before have I considered "random videos from a variety of genres". As you know, I'm not too into TV/movies/video.

But.........I bet I will check that out soon!

The grandkids will be here shortly to hang out with us all weekend. So I'll be unable to be online much for a while, and then Monday we're heading over to our Texas friends' in western Wisconsin for a few days. I'll bring some beer and lamb roasts; they provide the BBQ and all the rest. They aren't TV/internet people at all (have no idea who Yooper is :cross:) so we'll be: talking; eating; drinking beer; repeat..........for a few days.

Back