Computer geek friends- help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your affinity to linux. Believe me, I get it.

It's not a good idea for casual users. She is still hooked on WinXP. Does it sound like she's into a learning curve?

Fair 'nuff... I've just been impressed the ease with which my wife uses Linux, and she is *NOT* computer literate for the most part.

Of course, I did set up the system and put the icons in the toolbar, but in general once that was done I get basically no questions.

Linux isn't expressly hard, just different. As a lifetime windows user, making the Linux switch was hard. It wasn't until Mint that I actually stuck with a Linux build. Ubuntu was not for me. I play on my desktop a lot with various OS's and I'm thinking of trying out FreeBSD, as someone not particularly happy with Linux I hear its different and maybe more my speed.

Lorena: I would build a new computer from scratch. You can get a really inexpensive build if you know someone who knows the tech and is willing to help ya. XP is dead, so go with Win 7. Win 8 sucks IMHO so avoid it at all costs. Use a website like Tom's Hardware and find their cheapest build, purchase those parts, and put it together. Or get a techy friend (yeah, I will do it if you ask) to build you a system and ship it to ya...even though you body checked me and embarrassed the bejesus outta me, I still think the world of ya!! Cheers!!

T

Haha- I said I was sorry about twenty times, especially to the guys behind you who I injured as well. :D

I don't think I'm into "build your own", although I know I could do it. I'm already dreading transferring/saving all of my BSM files and mp3 files, even though it won't be difficult at all.

I understand your affinity to linux. Believe me, I get it.

It's not a good idea for casual users. She is still hooked on WinXP. Does it sound like she's into a learning curve?

Geez, thanks. :drunk:

No, you are right. I use Windows 7 Professional at work, and I've been a windows user my whole adult life. Well, at least since Windows 3.1 anyway. Windows 95 was a big step for me.

I am sort of like computers like I am with cars- love them but not the least bit interested in working on them, fixing them, etc. I don't even do my own oil changes anymore, and I just buy a vehicle and turn on the key. I'm the same way with computers- I want it to come to my house, and I just have to turn it on. I haven't rooted or done jailbreak on my phone, either. I just need something that isn't going to be worked on, ever.

I saw these "small towers" on Dell's site, and I think that would be more than adequate for me but I'm going to look around and probably make my decision this evening. Thanks for all of the tips, and links, and I'll spend this evening picking out something.

(PS, I hate change. Can you tell? :D)

your comp is 12 years old. The type of RAM you would need is probably ... hard to find. to upgrade parts for that comp would be kind of hard cause of its age. i would suggest just getting a cheap desktop

^ I've built many from scratch, I work in IT, and agree with this.

At 12 years old, be sure to save all the files you really want to another device. Use a thumb drive, another hard drive or CDs.

^ You have a USB backup, yes? Please say yes.

Don'ts:

• Don't build your own (I always do, but for reasons that you wouldn't need)
  • don't Linux,
  • and run away from Win8.x. Win 7 is a great OS, and if you're comfortable with WinXP you won't see too much difference.
  • don't get a laptop if you have a place for a desktop. Laptops are never as good (keyboard, screen, video, etc)
  • don't use your old monitors. If they are really 10 years old, the resolution is probably crap. New monitors aren't very expensive. Get high res and as large (inches) as can fit on your desk. Our old eyes need stuff to be big :)

Do's:

• 8G ram or better. It will help a lot in a couple of years when you have a billion odd services and such running in the background. Out of the box, it's not so important.
  • Consider two monitors (or more!). This isn't a geek thing, it's a wonderful way to be much more productive. It's as simple as plugging the second monitor into the box if you make sure the video card in the computer supports two monitors. I have 3 side-by-side and am thinking about adding one more.
  • Dell isn't the king anymore. Lots of good boxes at Best Buy and such. You can ask those places to remove all the advertising and crap that comes on a new PC (I think they charge $30 or so to do that, you could also do it yourself by just uninstalling all of it). Buying locally let's you mess with it a bit (this is how you'll know what I mean about Win8)

I don't think I'm into "build your own", although I know I could do it.

(PS, I hate change. Can you tell? :D)

Passedpawn really nailed the salient points on the head. We should make him Moderator or someth...oh, wait. Never mind.

Seriously, what he says. Especially based on your experience. Building one is no trickier than building brewing equipment, with all the attendant pitfalls and workarounds that go along with that hobby.

Find the price point with which you're comfortable, then hit Staples, NewEgg or Amazon depending on whether you want brick & mortar in case of your aversion or not to returns.

^ I've built many from scratch, I work in IT, and agree with this.

^ You have a USB backup, yes? Please say yes.

Passedpawn really nailed the salient points on the head. We should make him Moderator or someth...oh, wait. Never mind.

Seriously, what he says. Especially based on your experience. Building one is no trickier than building brewing equipment, with all the attendant pitfalls and workarounds that go along with that hobby.

Find the price point with which you're comfortable, then hit Staples, NewEgg or Amazon depending on whether you want brick & mortar in case of your aversion or not to returns.

LOL at "brick & mortar", because the nearest store to me is probably 150 miles away. I think there is a Best Buy now a bit closer, like 90 miles, but I'm not certain of that.

I will be going to Green Bay next weekend so I can shop there, but still wouldn't be able to do easy returns by walking in. It'd be about a six hour round trip drive. :D

Well, I ordered my computer today.

I have a new-ish monitor, with a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I'm going to see how it goes before considering another monitor.

I ended up with 8 GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, and windows 7 professional. It's a HP Compaq, 6005. Not the newest model around for sure, but I think it will suit me just fine.

Hopefully, I can get another 12 years out of it. :D

I was thinking about what to do with the old one, and once I wipe it and reinstall the OS it would be pretty useless because of the lack of updates now available for XP I assume. Anybody have some tips on that, or am I wrong about getting it updated to give away?

I was thinking about what to do with the old one, and once I wipe it and reinstall the OS it would be pretty useless because of the lack of updates now available for XP I assume. Anybody have some tips on that, or am I wrong about getting it updated to give away?

Well that's an easy question to answer! You make a swarthy temp data logger using theeees (ok, and an Arduino, ok, and some DS1812 thermometer probes)

I've found it difficult to give away anything of that age. Schools, libraries, churches, ornery brothers in law, furry woodland creatures: they all want newer.

I've just been impressed the ease with which my wife uses Linux, and she is *NOT* computer literate for the most part.

Of course, I did set up the system and put the icons in the toolbar, but in general once that was done I get basically no questions.

<sigh> I read this post with interest as I often set up computer things for my wife who finally convinced me to get her a new laptop which came touch screen enabled and Win8. It's been...interesting. :drunk:

Whenever I update my PC I remove the hard drives, I save the hard drives and throw away everything else. Seems wasteful, but that's how it is.

Take a sharpie and write the date and other comments (which PC it came out of, for example). Keep a box with old hard drives in it. I do this on the off chance a year later I'll realize I lost something, and I can pop that hard drive into my pc as a slave drive and find the file. I have this fear of losing data.

Whenever I update my PC I remove the hard drives, I save the hard drives and throw away everything else. Seems wasteful, but that's how it is.

Take a sharpie and write the date and other comments (which PC it came out of, for example). Keep a box with old hard drives in it. I do this on the off chance a year later I'll realize I lost something, and I can pop that hard drive into my pc as a slave drive and find the file. I have this fear of losing data.

Long ago purchased $25 USB to ATA & SATA. Use them externally. Have full drawer now. :) (PS, how many times have you actually retrieved anything? Cuz, he says sheepishly, I can honestly say I've NEVER)

Long ago purchased $25 USB to ATA & SATA. Use them externally. Have full drawer now. :) (PS, how many times have you actually retrieved anything? Cuz, he says sheepishly, I can honestly say I've NEVER)

Yes, but.................if I didn't save it, I'm sure I would need it!

Good idea on keeping just the hard drive, as much as I hate putting junk in landfills or other places. I just might keep the whole tower in the basement, just so I don't put it in the trash, and if I ever need the hard drive, I know where it is. Good thing I have a big house! :D

Please don't do that.

I learned my lesson after trying to cheap out twice on refurbs. They never work out. Remember, they were returned for a reason.

Do what you want, but remember that you get what you pay for.

Disagree. I've had great luck with refurbs - my current Dell laptop is a now 3 year old refurb that ran great out of the box, takes a beating and performs fantastically. Can't ask much more of it for the approximately ~$300 it cost me.

I've set family up with refurbs with similar results. yes, they were returned for a reason. But as long as it has been gone through and any issues repaired, it is the way to go.

I've had great luck with refurbs
I agree, with qualification: I'll use refurb in situations where I can (and want to) help and keep an eye on, because I'm willing to work on it. For strangers, no matter how much I'd like to meet them to discuss brewing and help, but are too far away (plane ride, boat ride, hike through forest, fight with moose) I tend to shy away from refurbs.

Yes, but.................if I didn't save it, I'm sure I would need it!

Good idea on keeping just the hard drive, as much as I hate putting junk in landfills or other places. I just might keep the whole tower in the basement, just so I don't put it in the trash, and if I ever need the hard drive, I know where it is. Good thing I have a big house! :D

This. Yes. This is why I have towers (might want to use <whatever> again in the NEXT build) and lovingly stacked piles-o-things all over house. My SigOth is very nice about it, to a point.

Yea, I've got a SATA drive slot right in the face of my tower. I use SATA drives as one part of my exuberant backup policy.

I have grabbed old drives to look for stuff before. I don't recall whether I found the thing or not. This is my work PC, and I create a lot of data; losing files = bad.

Sounds like you got a nice computer for the money, Yooper. I agree with the advice to keep the HDD. You can take the old computer to Goodwill or some other reseller. They will resell or recycle.

As far as Windows 8.1, I don't think it's a bad OS if you put Start8 from Stardock. It's a start menu replacement and it makes Windows 8 seem almost just like a Windows 7 machine.

HP is not a bad brand, but their lower cost home user systems come with a lot of garbage apps pre-installed. If I bought one I'd reload Windows from scratch and get rid of the junk. Even a new system with good specs can seem to run slow when some of those things are installed.

App companies actually pay or give the computer manufacture their software for free if they install their software on every machine they sell. That is how the manufacturer can sell their cheap computers so cheap.

Yea, I've got a SATA drive slot right in the face of my tower.

Sweet. I'm a firm believer in the twin drive raid NAS, have two, but have internal drives in my systems for imaging "main" drive as backup. Wife/kids think I'm crazy. Until they "lose" their photos/music. Then I get to be the hero. It happens infrequently. Probably why I brew.

Start8 from Stardock. It's a start menu replacement and it makes Windows 8 seem almost just like a Windows 7 machine.

+1

get rid of the junk. Even a new system with good specs can seem to run slow when some of those things are installed.

Very good point and one I forget since I'm the one doing it with friend's machines. And it's kinda hard to do over the phone with someone, but eliminating all the "helpful" things goes a long way for the smooth running and responsiveness of the computer.

Sweet. I'm a firm believer in the twin drive raid NAS, have two, but have internal drives in my systems for imaging "main" drive as backup. Wife/kids think I'm crazy. Until they "lose" their photos/music. Then I get to be the hero. It happens infrequently. Probably why I brew.

Hey, I work for WD, so I'm all in favor of what you're doing! :D

I'm the same in that even though (or because?) I work for a HDD company, I don't trust any data to a single drive. A single point of failure is unacceptable. I'm actually about to upgrade to a bigger NAS...

Yooper, what does your backup situation look like?

I've got two 4-drive (RAID5) external NAS, but I wasn't happy with transfer speed to them. My recent build, I put a 10TB RAID5 inside my tower (with a sweet SSD for boot). And a set of SATAs on the shelf for off-line backup of everything, just in case lightning kills everything connected to the wall. I have some storage, and speed to it is fast now. I wired my house with ethernet and serve all the pics, movies, and music to the TVs and computers in the house from the tower now. Life in the digital age!

Well, I ordered my computer today.

I have a new-ish monitor, with a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I'm going to see how it goes before considering another monitor.

I ended up with 8 GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, and windows 7 professional. It's a HP Compaq, 6005. Not the newest model around for sure, but I think it will suit me just fine.

Hopefully, I can get another 12 years out of it. :D

See if there are any charities in your area that will take them.

I donate mine to a group that strips them down to remove any valuable metal and then scraps them.

The proceeds go toward the charity. My company brings these guys onsite twice a year. They usually get a tractor trailer full of old electronics.

Or - you could do what most people do and stash them in a hidden corner of your basement. I will admit to having a few older systems hidden away. I know someday the President will need to need to read a 1.2 Mb floppy in order to save the world from destruction. I'll be ready! :D

Hey, I work for WD, so I'm all in favor of what you're doing! :D

I'm the same in that even though (or because?) I work for a HDD company, I don't trust any data to a single drive. A single point of failure is unacceptable. I'm actually about to upgrade to a bigger NAS...

Yooper, what does your backup situation look like?

I have very few files that are meaningful- mostly photos and music that I'd like to keep so I just put that stuff on an external drive for my backup.

I sell all my old parts on ebay, and whole towers are a little harder because no one wants to pay for the desktop AND shipping, so I sell them on craigslist or facebook, they sell super fast I get 35-50 out of the older ones like you have.

(SNIP)

I had a really bad experience with NewEgg a year or so ago when they sent me a hard drive that was included in an OEM external hard drive (bare drive) then when it failed less than a week after I got it, declined to honor the warranty and only after Seagate told me that it had been an external hard drive and I threatened them with the Postal Inspector did NewEgg honor the warranty. I will NEVER deal with NewEgg again!

I'm with all you guys who are anal about backups. I am a photographer (of models) in my off-time. I have a dual-hard drive docking station with two hard drives in it. I load all my photos to one hard drive, copy to the second and then copy them to a third external drive on a second computer. :)

I'm with all you guys who are anal about backups. I am a photographer (of models) in my off-time. I have a dual-hard drive docking station with two hard drives in it. I load all my photos to one hard drive, copy to the second and then copy them to a third external drive on a second computer. :)

as they say hardware is change in your pocket

but data is priceless

all the best

S_M

Cost. Good luck finding and i5 8 GB ram for under 600 bucks in a laptop. You can find a few but that's about it. A few.

As far as other reasons to go desktop. Upgradability, cost of repair, and many more. If I have a 15 inch laptop and want a larger laptop I can't easily upgrade it. The other issue you run into (as I've played into with my laptop) is that you have to set up your laptop in annoying way to run an external monitor.

My actual point was that she already has 2 laptops so she does not need to buy a desktop. Should have made that a bit more clear.

Not sure but a 12 years old rig prolly have pata drive not sata, even if you keep the drive the newer mobo won't have this kind of connection, best bet is to backup/clone your hdd to a usb drive (with your current rig) and keep this one, the old hard drive can then be taken apart and get the magnets for a diy stirplate!

My actual point was that she already has 2 laptops so she does not need to buy a desktop. Should have made that a bit more clear.

But, I want a desktop! I use it most of the time, when I'm not in Texas. I don't love my laptops (there are two of them) or my netbook (just one of those) or my smartphone. But I love my desktop with a ginormous hard drive, a huge flat panel monitor and comfortable chair, and my kegerator behind me. I know I don't need a desktop- but I still want one! :D

But, I want a desktop! I use it most of the time, when I'm not in Texas. I don't love my laptops (there are two of them) or my netbook (just one of those) or my smartphone. But I love my desktop with a ginormous hard drive, a huge flat panel monitor and comfortable chair, and my kegerator behind me. I know I don't need a desktop- but I still want one! :D

In that case here is a Staples coupon for $150 (works for desktops too)

http://www.staples.com/coupons

:D

Ok, I got the new computer and it's sure faster. :D

A couple of things I didn't realize- it's a horizontal orientation. The photo shows vertical, but it's definitely set up horizontally. That's different for me.

It's noisy! I can get used to it, but it did surprise me.

Now, I need even more help!

I backed up my beersmith files, and installed Beersmith on my new computer. But I cannot find them.

I went back into the old computer, and there they are. But I did a search for BSMX and BSM files, and can't find the directory. I'd like to take my hundreds and hundreds of brewed recipes, and put them on my new computer. I tried the Beersmith forum and "help" but it wasn't much help at all.

Can anybody walk me through getting those darn recipe files on my thumb drive, so I can move them to the new computer? I would love you forever!

Ok, I got the new computer and it's sure faster. :D

A couple of things I didn't realize- it's a horizontal orientation. The photo shows vertical, but it's definitely set up horizontally. That's different for me.

It's noisy! I can get used to it, but it did surprise me.

Now, I need even more help!

I backed up my beersmith files, and installed Beersmith on my new computer. But I cannot find them.

I went back into the old computer, and there they are. But I did a search for BSMX and BSM files, and can't find the directory. I'd like to take my hundreds and hundreds of brewed recipes, and put them on my new computer. I tried the Beersmith forum and "help" but it wasn't much help at all.

Can anybody walk me through getting those darn recipe files on my thumb drive, so I can move them to the new computer? I would love you forever!

Easiest way is just copy them over to the thumb drive, then copy them to the new PC.

Easiest way is just copy them over to the thumb drive, then copy them to the new PC.

Well, duh. Even I knew that. :D

The problem is that I can't find the Beersmith directory on my old computer, but they are there.

I did a search for bsm and bsmx files, and that didn't turn up anything. I tried to use the "export" feature, and that worked- but only with some of the recipes so it was very weird.

I think what happened in the "export all" was that it only copied recipes in "the view". That means I only got recipes going back to 2009, so it was better than nothing.

But I don't have my equipment profile, the custom brewsheet templates I made, the inventory, new hops, etc. I also don't have any recipes prior to late 2009, but in the old computer they go back to December 2006.

It's weird, because there is no directory in My Documents for bsm (old ones) or bsmx files. But, the recipes are there in the program. I'm sure I'm just an idiot and am missing something (maybe they are in an admin user, or my own user?) but I sure can't figure it out!

what I did is just cpoy the whole beersmith folder in my document and paste it in the new computer, recipes, inventory ect were all there!

Ha- I finally figured it out.

I just copied over the "new" directory in my new computer with the old, and voila!

It's a shame that the "import wizard" doesn't import this stuff, and the directions on the Beersmith "help" are non-existent.

I think I'm good now!

Yooper, if you ever need help with something, there is a remote access software that you can install called Teamviewer. When you need an expert to log in and show you things, you just give them your passcode and they can log in and move your mouse around and talk you through it.

It's possibly the biggest free remote access software for the home user.

Back