Compressing Containers Squeeze the Air Out of Your Stored Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
I immediately though about using these for hops. What do you guys think, will it work?

zaynduxhprywp4lvbqfg.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/compressing-containers-squeeze-the-air-out-of-your-stor-1648367253

if you're looking to spend $25-$30 for something you can do just as effectively with a ziplock baggie costing what? $.15?

And ziplocks will take up less room.

Just seems not very cost effective to me. Cool, but it doesn't solve any real problems IMO

Crushing hops is Not A Good Thing (tm)

I would think a person would stop short of crushing them

if you're looking to spend $25-$30 for something you can do just as effectively with a ziplock baggie costing what? $.15?

And ziplocks will take up less room.

Just seems not very cost effective to me. Cool, but it doesn't solve any real problems IMO

I thought a ziplock baggie doesn't work very well?

If you squeezed enough air out of there to prevent staling, then the hops would be crushed too much.

If you didn't crush the hops too much, then there would be enough air in there to stale them.

$20 to hold maybe two ounces of whole hops? Yeah, no.

I'd go with the mylar ziplocks over these containers.

I'd think you'd still have a lot of air in the container between the hops pellets. I use a vacuum sealer, and that works really well to preserve them.

Alright, it sounds like the community has spoken. Glad I didn't rush out to get these, thanks for everyone's input!

I thought a ziplock baggie doesn't work very well?

They both do the same thing. Displace air by manually reducing volume. It doesn't actually create any sort of vacuum, so whatver air you weren't able to push out by hand will still be there.

A ziplock may even be more effective, as I have heard of people using a straw to suck out the air and make a partial vacuum. Though I have no idea how they do this, nor do I have any idea if it would be pleasant to suck in hop aroma to the lungs like that. But it could be worth a shot.

I agree with the others, a vacuum sealer is the best way to go. However, if one didn't want to purchase a vacuum sealer, I would just use ziplocks.

Back