Competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious how many on this forum have entered your ciders in competitions, what your cider was & how you've done?

Cheers!

I've entered a few. The judges didn't think as highly of them as I do :oops: but it was worth it to get feedback. I will change my processes in response to that, in my never ending quest for perfection.
What did ya enter & learn from the judging process?

I've found most beer-centric competitions to be next to useless in terms of feedback. Wine competitions are better, cider specific are best. GLINTCAP is the best competition to enter in if you want quality feedback on cider from some of the most knowledgeable folks in the US cider world.

What did ya enter & learn from the judging process?

My standard cider is fresh pressed from local orchards, aged for about a year. Typically off dry or semi sweet and forced carbonated. It changes slightly each year depending on which orchard I get my juice from. People here like it a lot.

Entered as style C1A New World Cider. I agree with LeBreton that beer comps aren't the ideal venue for a cider but the feedback has been fairly consistent. I need more acid and tannin when I use sweet table cider, and there's a little bit of sulfur smell / taste noted by some judges so I'm gonna change yeasts next year.

I wanted to enter one this year, but I only have one bottle left.:( I did submit a mead, so we’ll see how that goes.

I have only entered mine 3 times over the past ~10 years. My cider scored as high as Bronze. A cyser on the other hand recently took Best of Show for meads. I have only entered beer-centric competitions. I would love to enter GLINTCAP or other cider comps sometime but it's so friggin expensive.

The feedback I have received from beer people is typically pretty dumbed down. I didn't do it for the feedback so much as just to see if maybe they like it as much as I do.

The feedback I have received from beer people is typically pretty dumbed down.

To be fair, I've also received some pretty dumb feedback from GLINTCAP judges too. All reviews should be taken a a whole and NEVER place too much importance on any single individual judge. Many can be prejudiced and influenced by personal preference.

I've entered a few. The judges didn't think as highly of them as I do.

Wouldn’t you love to hear what the judges think of the big commercial and small farm ciders?

I know mine are nowhere near my hero’s like Eves or South Hill but they’re better than a lot I have bought.

I make a lot of cider, but I know it won't do well in competition because I really don't have the right apples. My cider is "ok" for me to drink at home and better than some commercial ones I've tasted, but it doesn't seem worth the time and effort to enter a competition and be told what I already know.

I make a lot of cider, but I know it won't do well in competition because I really don't have the right apples. My cider is "ok" for me to drink at home and better than some commercial ones I've tasted, but it doesn't seem worth the time and effort to enter a competition and be told what I already know.

Right. Some characteristics like acid and tannin can be adjusted for any cider, but aroma and taste is all about the apples. I'm lucky in that there is a local cider mill that presses cider just for hard cider makers one day a year, and that source has scored better than any other juice I've used.

Am current AHA Cidermaker of the Year, so I've competed a bit.

Yesterday I finished writing content for BJCP Cider Exam Study Guide. Lots of editing to do, but it is part of a long effort towards educating people about evaluating cider. So for those who have had a less than ideal experience with evaluation of their cider, we're working on it.
Note that not everything fits well into guidelines and those winning competition shouldn't receive blanket statements about being "better" - winning competitions means I've given the judges what they expect, with little to no off flavors. If you like the cider you make, keep doing it that way, judges be damned.
cheers--
--Michael

Am current AHA Cidermaker of the Year, so I've competed a bit.

Yesterday I finished writing content for BJCP Cider Exam Study Guide. Lots of editing to do, but it is part of a long effort towards educating people about evaluating cider. So for those who have had a less than ideal experience with evaluation of their cider, we're working on it.
Note that not everything fits well into guidelines and those winning competition shouldn't receive blanket statements about being "better" - winning competitions means I've given the judges what they expect, with little to no off flavors. If you like the cider you make, keep doing it that way, judges be damned.
cheers--
--Michael
Any tips for a newbie...re: making great, high quality cider?

Back