Competition for Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post. I was thinking about entering it but only have a couple bottles left of my most well received cider and don't feel like paying the $20+shipping and then only having one of the bottles left.

I look forward to next year though when I'll have a better stockpile of ciders available for competitions :)

Yes the $20 per entry is steep, but the judges are all cider celebrities and if you want feedback from the best, this is where you'll get it. Thanks for posting Yooper,

please, cider makers, if you have ever won anything post it in my competition survey thread

Thanks Yooper. I don't believe I have enough left to enter! Unless maybe they're also accepting cysers? I have plenty of that.

Update later..... Aha! Yes they do take cyser! $20 is indeed steep, but, what the hell, why not. It's not like I'm submitting two entries for $40. Just one.

Thanks for posting Yooper! Been looking for a competition to submit my cider and cyser too, and this seems like the perfect venue!

I wonder though...if I were to submit a graff, would that go in the specialty cider category as a malted and hopped cider?

Is there a form for specifying the details of the submittal? The bottle labels don't have space for that.

Just put my application in...when you fill out the online form for your entry, it will have you put in stipulations such as carbonation level, residual sweetness, etc there; only the brew name and category goes on the bottle ID form...

Just put my application in...when you fill out the online form for your entry, it will have you put in stipulations such as carbonation level, residual sweetness, etc there; only the brew name and category goes on the bottle ID form...

Good luck. I entered a few as well, though probably spent more time packing them than making them 🙄The nice thing about GLINTCAP is the diversity of categories available. What category did you end up putting your Graff in?

well, this is just general nonsense

Note: Apple jack brandy is not to be confused with cider that has been concentrated by freezing. Cider concentrated by freezing after fermentation includes concentrated heads and tails and is excluded from this competition due to adverse effects related to toxicity.

it's nonsense because there are no HEADS or TAILS created in the process and therefore can't be CONCENTRATED

adverse effects related to toxicity

it's no more toxic than the original fermented cider

ig·no·rant
[ˈiɡnərənt]
ADJECTIVE
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated

(referring to those who run this competition)

Good luck. I entered a few as well, though probably spent more time packing them than making them 🙄The nice thing about GLINTCAP is the diversity of categories available. What category did you end up putting your Graff in?

I actually didn't enter the graff...was more of a rhetorical question, but maybe next year....

I had missed the deadline for the local brewclub's competition, and I spent a little more than I would've otherwise, but regardless, I might have entered this one anyway even if I had caught the local competition...this seems like a really great venue to get feedback for what I had been interested in entering anyway (a cider and a cyser)....the judge list for the cider is pretty impressive, and the organizer I had e-mailed with a question mentioned that they have a number of additional BJCP judges with mead experience as well....

I entered 2 ciders that did not advance to the finals of NHC, both were still, dry and IMO, much better than the 2 that advanced. I'm keen to see how actual cider judges view them vs. beer judges. From my own experience at competitions, it seems sweeter wins more, which is a shame if you prefer dry cider. Personally I think they need to create a separate dry category. Anything under 1.002. Trying to compare a dry still cider to a semi sweet carbonated one is like putting a Pinot Grigio up against Asti Spumante. Two worlds apart. The fact that with the current guidelines, a bottle of Farnum Hill Dry/still is in the same judging category as a Woodchuck is a head-scratcher.

I missed Glintcap this year but will be entering next time around.

Both of my farmhouse ciders from last fall were a mix of apple and just enough pear to add some body. I didn't want them judged alongside the crazy cocktails in the "multiple juice" categories.

Back