Commercially made apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
My mother in law found this in a little shop on the coast and sent me over a bottle. I’m excited to try it this evening. It’s a bit higher abv than I would make but otherwise the process sounds great. This particular cidery also makes my favorite store bought east to find cider - The bad apple. I have high hopes!

IMG_3840.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg

Fun they use the protected french name "Pommeau".
Even if the method is correct, like they do in Normandy, you can't call it Pommeau if you produce it out of the official area.
Still, it can be very good, maybe better than the original but if so, don't tell the frogs.

its prolly sweet but im still jealous
You were right. It’s waaaay sweeter than I like. It’s as sweet as normal apple juice (probably 1.045-1.05). That being said, the flavor was very complex. I didn’t mind it like I normally would.

I don’t know why they made it 19% abv but the oak helped a lot with that. I wish I would have let it age in the bottle for another 5+ years before opening!

i find that most commercial ciders , mead, fruit wines, etc, are cloyingly sweet.

when i find a cider thats less than 10 grams of sugar per 12 oz bottle i usually buy them but they are few and far between

austin eastend rose is good and woodchucks granny smith is ok

calvados is usually not sweet at all and i like that when i can find it but thats booze not wine

i dont like my ciders to taste like apple juice if that makes sense

Back