Commercial keg CO2 vs bottle CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusdau

Reaction score
I noticed on Boulevard Brewery site they list CO2 in bottles higher than in kegs. The kegs are more in line with the 'called for' CO2 of the style. For example, Doublewide IPA is 2.6 in kegs, 3.3 in bottles.

Why the difference, and is this common among breweries? Bottled mine a few weeks ago shooting for 2.7 (IPA), and kind of wish I'd gone a tad higher, as I don't mind the higher CO2 of Boulevard...drink Doublewide and Tank 7 quite a bit.

Thanks.

Dustin

It might be that the bottle is easier to pour than kegs. I'm betting that they don't want to pour tons of foam if the bartender pours fast and or if the lines are short.

Jamil z mentions german breweries do the same....not sure why. I'm guessing it has to do with the pour and the flushing of o2 as the beer is capped. Maybe it's the temp that it's bottled vs kegged. Interesting though.

Back