Commercial keg and excessive foam with picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLBeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having problems with excessive foam on a keg from a local brewery. We are on vacation and not at home or access to quick delivery.

I bought a Pluto picnic tap, 10 feet of 1/4 inch Bevtubing, a keg land d coupler, and a new regulator from more beer.
Realize should have purchased 3/8s but too late now.

Beer is completely foamy, like 90%. Takes several minutes to pour a drinkable pint.
Keg sat for 24 hrs in a keg cooler with ice
Ambient temp is about 45, so most of the tubing is 45.
Tried pressures between 8 and 15, with purging in between attempts.
No bubbles in tubing, so connections are tight.

Any advice is appreciated. I’m spending half my family time outside pouring beers right now.

Don’t need the perfect answer need the workable answer.

You really wanted 3/16 or smaller serving line. Im estimating a 40+ foot serving line at 1/4 inch id. If you plan on drinking the keg quickly lower the psi to as low as you can, maybe 2 psi? This will cause the beer to go flat quickly though.

Agreed, 1/4" is a comparative fire hose at the lengths and pressures we use.
Even better than 3/16" id is 4mm id; you can cut your line length almost in half using 4mm ID tubing...

Cheers!

Sorry I meant to say 3/16s but my fingers were numb from standing out here in the cold.

Not much I can do at this point I guess except pour slow.

Why do they even sell tubing as beverage line if it’s too big?

Why do they even sell tubing as beverage line if it’s too big?
Everything has a purpose. It’s to big for the size of your run, not to big in general. Not all tap systems are created equal. Some tap systems have long runs of distance but not much change in elevation. Others have 5-10 ft, some even more, of elevation to overcome. Depending on the distance and the hight you need to cover, different line ID is needed.

They are also in the business for making money. Not every beverage line is used for carbonated beverages or beverages at all.

Last edited:
For temporary use if you have a smaller tube/straw that you can insert into the 1/4" tube as a restriction you might be able to stabilize your vacation pours. 24 hours on ice might also be too cold for equilibrium, all you can do in this setup is play with restrictions and pressure.

Had to go to Home Depot today for something else. Picked up 20’ of 3/16 tubing and it is working fine now.

Thanks.

Guess my next project is piecing together real bev hose and QDs so I can swap out my corneys and sankes when on vacation.

Had to go to Home Depot today for something else. Picked up 20’ of 3/16 tubing and it is working fine now.

Thanks.

Guess my next project is piecing together real bev hose and QDs so I can swap out my corneys and sankes when on vacation.
They also sell ball locks adapter for you sanke tap. Then you don’t have to switch anything. Sankey to Ball Lock Disconnect Conversion Kit

Thx!

That looks nice and simple but $35 seems a bit excessive. But I’ll prob do it anyway.

Would have been a great stocking stuffer!

Thx!

That looks nice and simple but $35 seems a bit excessive. But I’ll prob do it anyway.

Would have been a great stocking stuffer!
I’m sure you can find cheaper ones. I just knew they carried them

Back