Commercial Beer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarshall1087

Reaction score
Hey Everyone- I apologize; I'm sure this has been covered before but I don't have time to peruse for an answer.

I finished building my system last week. I have a 5.0 keezer, 5 lb tank of CO2, 10' 3/16" ID Beer lines.

I picked up a commercial sixtel of Sam Adams Octoberfest. It came directly from walk in freezer at beer distributor, and was in my keezer in 10 minutes. It's been set at 37 deg with a +/- 1 degree variance. I got fresh lines, cleaned and sanitized and hooked them up. They came to temp for 24 hours before I tapped keg. PSI at 12 (as per recommendation of Sam Adams brewer). Pours came out perfectly. 10 second fill, 3/4" head on top, nice carbonation.

A week has gone by with no change to anything. I poured a beer yesterday, and its flat. I have no leaks in my air system, but the beer is just flat. I dialed CO2 up to 16 PSI overnight and just tested; I get a nice head again, but it tastes completely flat.

WTH IS GOING ON!!!??? Is there a chance my distributor gave me a CO2 tank that was filled with G-mix? They were a brand new store, and he gave me what the previous owner had in the back. It says Carbon Dioxide on it, but I can't think of any other reasons why a perfectly good keg would be flat now. I'm quite pissed, as I have a gathering tonight, and I have no resolution to my issue.

Thanks for your help!

The same thing happens with me on my 10 foot line. Does this happen after the first pour?

I think all liquid gas tanks have different threads to eliminate the possibility of adding wrong gas to a tank.

I'm going to shorten it to 6 like my other taps and see if that helps any

Issue is still happening. I reached out to Sam Adams, and they told me to dial up my PSI a bit. I did this and now its pouring with 1.5" of head, but then its flat. I don't get it! I have a cider keg hooked up too, and its pouring great.

Back