Coming up with a parts list for a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleabagmatt

Reaction score
Okay, I finally picked up a decent side-by-side fridge from Craigslist and I'm ready to get a three tap kegerator set up. I've got some parts already from another craigslist buy, so I'm hoping for some help on figuring out exactly what I need.

The plan is to have two beer taps and one sparkling water tap, I also want to be able to connect a counter pressure bottle filler to the system.

So far what I have:

• 20# Co2 tank
  • assorted pin lock gas and liquid keg connections- enough to set up 3 kegs
  • 1 standard tap with shank (I assume it's just a cheap one, definitely not a Perlick.)
  • 6' of gas line
  • 3 pin lock corny kegs

Currently have the CO2 tank and a single keg inside the fridge with a picnic tap.

My plan for now is to set things up to run two beer taps with the gas bottle outside the fridge, then down the line add on a second regulator body so that I can run higher pressure for the sparkling water (as well as for force carbing.) Basically I want to make sure that I don't buy parts now that will need to be upgraded when I get around to adding the third keg.

So here is what I think I need so far:

• 2 Perlick faucets (I will use the cheap one I already have for water)
  • 2 shanks (How do I decide what length I need?)
  • 2 lengths of beer line (need to read up on what tubing size/length I need)
  • 1 three-way manifold - two connections for the kegs and one free for bottle filler and carbing if needed
  • 2 lengths of gas line (from manifold to keg)
  • drip tray

Is there anything else that I'm missing here? I have a morebeer gift card and figured I would pick up the perlicks and manifold from there, all the tubing and stuff I can get from the local homebrew store.

Looks like you have all the items to me.

To determine shank length you need to know how thick the material is you are going through. Make sure you have enough length to go through that material and put the nut on. I would think a 4" or 5" shank would be fine in a fridge.

Be careful if you're drilling holes in the side of the fridge. I was going to make a kegerator out of a mini fridge. I drilled a hole for a gas line in the side of it and drilled right into a coolant line :mad: I don't know if that's an issue on a standard size fridge, but I'd check into it.

Enjoy your build!

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll probably start collecting parts today.

I've read a bit about drilling the fridge and yeah, it does concern me some. Seems like a reasonably safe plan is a small pilot hole through the plastic wall on the inside and probe with a nail to check for coolant lines.

Your parts list looks solid, if you go through the door you won't have any issues with cooling lines. And make sure your shanks are the right length, I had 4" ones and they "looked" right but I needed 5" ones.

Your parts list looks solid, if you go through the door you won't have any issues with cooling lines. And make sure your shanks are the right length, I had 4" ones and they "looked" right but I needed 5" ones.

Sounds like a good reason to pick up the shanks locally, thanks. Is there a down side to getting them too long?

Latest posts

Back