Coming back to homebrewing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So been out of the homebrew game for years, probably since Covid started. No real reason, I just didnt want to do it anymore at the time. Still have a 3 vessel 5500W EHERM's im cleaning up and rebuilding and I got a few questions hoping people can catch me up on.

1. Need updated SS pump heads for my oldish March 815-PL pumps, i know Chugger used to be a drop in now i see these kegland that look like drop ins? Or is it cheaper to just buy this new mach II pump or whatever it is? Also can i replace a side inlet/outlet pump head with a head that has a side input and front output? I've checked my pumps without the heads and they still spin great so i'd like to keep using them.
  2. Need to replace all my silicon tubing, i assume anything will work, curious if anyone sells clear 1/2" id silicon tubing? The stuff i had before was what i'd call opaque clear, not like vinyl clear. Since i need to buy 40-50ft of this stuff i'd like to see whats changed out there.
  3. I was previously running Strangebrew Elsinore then CraftBeerPi 3 on my control box, last i saw it looks like CBPI 4.0 actually was released? Is that the latest hotness or is there other automation software out there now?

All of your questions are way over my head but welcome back to brewing! May your sparge never be stuck and your kettle never boil over.

Also I like your username and profile pic combo

Welcome back to home brewing.

On # 1, consider these, quieter, work better and easy to clean; RipTide Brewing Pump by Blichmann Engineering | MoreBeer

I've rebuilt a couple of old style march/chugger pumps (they are practically identical) a few times. Was feeling flush one day and bought a Riptide. Then I bought another one, they are much better. I like the fact they are quite and have long cord & on/off switch.

On # 2, this is what I use when I want 1/2 silicon tubing, not coear, but works well ; High Temp Silicone Tubing - 1/2 in. | MoreBeer

#3 I don't know about software for brewing, or why one would need it, so hopefully someone else can help you on that.

Agreed on the RipTide.

CraftBeerPi 3 is still the latest official release. Some people have been using 4, but it is my understanding that it's not fully functional yet.

Yea I like the look of those riptide, but splashing 500 on two new pumps when I have two that only need 60 dollars in new heads to work will probably have to wait

Just wondering.. What size batches do you do? The Riptide is an excellent pump and I have one, but only because I need the additional power it has to recirculate through my upgrade to a dual-CFC, first to the BK, then to the fermenter. I usually do batches that finsh @ 6.5G in a keggle/cooler system. Mash recirculation has absolutely no need for high-powered pump and until the dual-CFC, this; 37.66US $ 7% OFF|Magnetic Drive Pump Mp15rm High Temperature Food Grade Homebrew Beer Brewing Stainless Steel Head 12v/24v/220v/110v - Pumps - AliExpress served perfectly for all my needs. You can find them cheap on ebay and amazon too, but I did build a mount to attach a computer fan behind mine because they do run hot, and it's been working flawlessly for a few years now. As to your March, it seems to be on the compatible list for this: RipTide™ Upgrade Kit ..which I'm surprised no one else has mentioned.
I just hate wasting cash, but try to choose appropriate gear no matter how tempting the eye-candy.
:mug:

I have 20 gallon pots in theory I could mash 15 gallons of lower 4-5ish about beer I think but usually I only do 10 gallon batches. The March pumps are loud but super strong. Just curious what makes the design so special for riptide, one pump only ever sees water the other I wash out at the end of the day with my remaining hot water and tbh taking the head apart is like maybe 30 seconds. And retrofitting in my existing noisy pump motor would negate that benefit? Only other thing they note is a bleed valve but honestly never had that issue I couldn't fix by just bleeding from my camlock connector until it leaks and then snapping it shut?

Last edited:
1. Should be good to go for stainless heads with a center, vs side, inlet. I think the Chugger/March pumps are pretty universal. I know you don't want to splurge on the Riptide pumps, but Blichmann makes upgrade kits were you can use the Riptide heads on a March/Chugger as mentioned earlier. That should make them easier to clean and may be worth considering.

2. Should be easy to find. More Beer as mentioned.

3. Outta my league. I'm still running a propane setup, nothing fancy.

Glad to see a familiar face back. "Wokka wokka, wokka!"

1. Need updated SS pump heads for my oldish March 815-PL pumps, i know Chugger used to be a drop in now i see these kegland that look like drop ins? Or is it cheaper to just buy this new mach II pump or whatever it is? Also can i replace a side inlet/outlet pump head with a head that has a side input and front output? I've checked my pumps without the heads and they still spin great so i'd like to keep using them.
Only Chugger SS heads will fit March 815. The kegland stainless heads are for a different format.
  1. Need to replace all my silicon tubing, i assume anything will work, curious if anyone sells clear 1/2" id silicon tubing? The stuff i had before was what i'd call opaque clear, not like vinyl clear. Since i need to buy 40-50ft of this stuff i'd like to see whats changed out there.
There is no such thing as vinyl-clear silicone. I'm pretty sure I sell the clearest of all the 1/2" ID silicone. If you put a strip of newsprint inside, you can read it through the wall but as if you have the beginnings of cataract.
  1. I was previously running Strangebrew Elsinore then CraftBeerPi 3 on my control box, last i saw it looks like CBPI 4.0 actually was released? Is that the latest hotness or is there other automation software out there now?

Only Chugger SS heads will fit March 815. The kegland stainless heads are for a different format.

There is no such thing as vinyl-clear silicone. I'm pretty sure I sell the clearest of all the 1/2" ID silicone. If you put a strip of newsprint inside, you can read it through the wall but as if you have the beginnings of cataract.
I want to plu Bobby's tubing he mentioned. I have normal silicon tubing and his stuff. His is dramatically clearer. Well worth it in my opinion.

Back