Combination plate chiller and immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaPyro

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I've accumulated enough kit over the years and tomorrow I'm going to try chilling with both my immersion chiller and plate chiller. My water pressure seems to be more than enough that split between two outputs would be just fine. I tried searching but didn't see anything come up with this combo. Anyone try this?

The idea I'm going for is recirculating through the plate chiller to whirpool back in my kettle with my pump while my immersion chiller does its thing. Presuming the chilling water pressure is good enough this should knock my temps down rapido.

Eventually, my plate chiller will be replaced with a shell and tube exchanger (easier to clean is the only reason).

I figure i could sell or use my plate chiller as a pre chiller later on.

Anyways, just ruminating this idea and wanted to pick your brains on your thoughts doing this?

I've used an immersion chiller + CFC. Summer time, when my tap water is warm, I run it through an immersion chiller in an ice water bath then to my CFC. During cool weather I don't need to bother.

Elegant, i guess I'm working my way up and trying to think outside the box on the way.

Have you tried a plate chiller with an immersion chiller?

Elegant, i guess I'm working my way up and trying to think outside the box on the way.

Have you tried a plate chiller with an immersion chiller?

I don't own a plate chiller. I've read enough about cleaning difficulties that I decided not to go that route. My immersion chiller & CFC are both home made. Copper tubing, some fittings and a garden hose.

Using the IC as a pre-chiller has been done before; nothing original on my part. I've also used a transmission cooler to pre-chill this way but it needs to be moved around quite a bit more to be as effective because of the narrow spaces between fins.

So the answer is no.

Respect your opinion, was just seeing if anyone has done it before.

Back