Color/SRm Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple 1 gal batches that after brewing missed, by a LOT, the color.

One was a AG rye (1/2 rye 1/2 2-row) Other was a light DME SMaSH.

The rye, going into primary was *green*, but I attributed that to the rye. It mellowed out a week later but still dark.

The SMaSH, only just brewed, is very dark. Should have been a blond. I did have a slight boil over (multitasking: smoking a brisket at the same time) Did the boil over make a diff?

Do the colors mellow in general during primary?
Are blonds tougher to hit the color mark?

Thanks

Did you use extract, or all grain? Its really hard to get the lighter colored beers with extract.

Did you use extract, or all grain? Its really hard to get the lighter colored beers with extract.

The rye was AG, the SMaSH was extract. (was in the OP)
I'm not *that* concerned with color. But does taste follow color? Will a darker extract (or even AG) have a maltier/caramel flavor by default?

For Extract I would believe so (Melanoidins).

For AG, I would say mashing water would be a determining factor. TH's EZ Water Calculator can tell you what beer colors your water is best to brew (and you can check what you can add to change that...).

Latest posts

Back