cold Stabilzing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeg77

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had thoughts as to when to cold stabilize a wine(if at all). My MLF is done and I was going to rack it and put it in the fridge for two weeks to hopefully encourage the formation of tartrate crystals so I can filter them out.

My question is if now is a good time to do this and if there is a problem with making aging wine this cold then bringing it back to warmer temperatures(arounf 65 degrees).

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts as to when to cold stabilize a wine(if at all). My MLF is done and I was going to rack it and put it in the fridge for two weeks to hopefully encourage the formation of tartrate crystals so I can filter them out.

My question is if now is a good time to do this and if there is a problem with making aging wine this cold then bringing it back to warmer temperatures(arounf 65 degrees).

If your MLF is completely done, you can cold stabilize any time. Why would you bring it back to 65 degrees, though? For more aging, or is that your cellar temp?

I had a TON of precipitate after cold stabilization last winter, and racked off off of it and then kept the carboy in the cellar for about 6 months. I was very happy with the results.

I was just guessing at the cellar temp when I said 65 degrees. It might be a bit cooler than that, but certainly not as cold as the refrigerator I plan to use.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back