Wine aging in plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yair2782002g

Reaction score
I made two batches of mullberry wine about two months ago each is 20+- litters, and they sit in an airtight 25L fermentation bucket with wide lid, they went through a cold crash and racking and now they are at a constant 20C temperature

My question is can I age them in a smaller buckets so there's little to none headspace and will it be good as demijun?

You'd be better off bottling the wine now, if all you have is a bucket for storage. Around here, there's used brewing stuff for sale all the time and finding used glass carboys isn't all that difficult. I like to age my mine for a year or two before bottling, but the only downside you'll have if you bottle now is you'll get some solids settling out of the wine that will accumulate in the bottom of the bottle. There are many variables associated with home made wine, and using a bucket for long term aging makes it more likely that you'll have some problems.

I got a bunch of 4 gallon (15L) buckets from a friend, and when I started making wine that's what I used. Your wine will still have too much headspace while in secondary and can easily lose some of your batches. I got a handful of 5 gallon carboys and my spoilage went away.

Back