Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aavila890

Reaction score
I just had a question about cold crashing, first time doing it. So I've been dry hopping a pale ale in secondary for a couple days now and I plan to do 10 days. I put my hop pellets in a muslin bag. So my question is it fine if i leave the bag in there while cold crashing or should I attempt to take it out? It was pretty hard to get it in I'm assuming it'll be close to impossible to get it out. And will it settle to the bottom if I do leave it in there.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395011605.281182.jpg

So here's a picture of my pale ale first day I racked to the secondary. Looks really cloudy. It's been about 5 days since and it has cleared pretty nicely, a bit of yeast stuck to the side of the carboy. This is my first all grain beer and want it to turn out the best it possibly can and being a pale ale I want to get it as clear as possible without the use of finning agents. Going the old natural route.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It doesn't really matter whether you leave it or not in terms of clarity..

It could matter a bit in terms of taste - the consensus opinion is that longer dry-hopping times +5-6 days tend to give grassier/more piney flavours..

In this case it seems like you didn't use that much and I really don't think you'll be able to tell a difference on neither clarity nor hop-character..

Sum-up - I'd leave it in..

Yea only used an ounce of citra, didn't want to over do it on the dry hopping. But thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not a bad choice - although at 1 oz per 5 gal it'll only be ever so slightly detectable.. but that may be very suitable in your pale ale :mug:

Good luck

Latest posts

Back