Cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundi

Reaction score
An anyone explain what this is, how to do it and the benefits? I have read a lot of posts about it and just don't understand the process. Thanks in advance!

When your beer is finished fermenting and conditioning/resting, put the carboy in a refrigerator for a day or two... this helps any remaining yeast and solids that are in suspension to clump together and settle to the bottom before bottling.

Even though your beer may look crystal clear, there are still plenty of those little yeasties floating around to bottle carb.

aw man, you're about to get creamed with "lmgtfy" (let me google that for you) comments.

cold crashing is when you take your fermenter and toss it in a colder (under 40F) for a period of time. it causes the yeast to fall out of suspension in your beer, and it makes your beer much clearer. the longer you expose your beer to this temperature, the more yeast will fall out of suspension, and the clearer your beer will be. most people cold crash for about 1-3 days (at least from what i read). i get awesome results when i cold crash for about a week. clears my beer right up.

Thank you both. Yes I guess I could have googled this, leave it to the newbie

To be a little more accurate: You're not just dropping yeast out of suspension you are also dropping out larger proteins that will help clarify your beer by removing them.

I don't call this out to nit-pick the comment about yeast, but when I first started out and somebody told me that my first question was: "If you cold crash to drop the yeast out but need yeast to bottle condition that doesn't make any sense".

I'm just hoping to avoid that same confusion for you.

Cheers.

Back