Cold Crashing In Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Well non of my batches have ever come out clear. It hasnt bothered me up until now when im actually trying to address the chill haze I constantly get. The beer looks clear when warm in the bottles and of course turns hazy after chilling in the fridge. Ive tried leaving the bottles in the fridge for a few days hoping it would clear but ive had no luck. Last night I forgot to put a couple bottles in the fridge before heading to work, when I got home I decided to put them in the freezer instead for 45-60 mins. Once poured, I couldnt believe it but these beers were clear! What exactly is going on? Is the shock of cold crashing quickly (freezer) more effective than crashing slowly (fridge), similar to cooling the wort after the boil?

I have a belgian strong i need to bottle next week. Would using the freezer to quickly chill the beer down close to zero be more effective than letting it sit in the fridge before bottling?

If it's getting the results you want, I'd say try it out and see. I wouldn't leave them in the freezer for too long though.

For sure ill give it a shot, Ill just have to set an alarm so i dont freeze the carboy. Im still curious though, is this sudden cooling necessary for clearing the beer?

Thanks for the tip! I actually used it for my current belgian batch which has yet to be bottled so im extremely excited to see the results.

I should add that Clarity Ferm does not completely replace cold conditioning. While you will be able to chill your beers in a half hour or so in the freezer and not have chill haze, your beer will still improve given a week or so in the fridge. Chill haze will drop out naturally in 1-3 weeks in the fridge anyway. So sometimes I think of chill haze as sort of an indicator of whether or not the beer has been cold conditioned long enough. So in that sense I view Clarity Ferm as a sort of luxury additive. Nice to have, but not all-important.

Fivestar Super Moss works good too. But chilling the wort down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less helps too. And give the bottles a week in the fridge instead of a couple days. Even two weeks sometimes is needed to get chill haze to drop out.

*noob question alert*

After 2 or so weeks in the fridge to allow cold haze to settle, can they be brought out of the fridge and stored somewhere cool in my place ( I could chill again for consumption) or do they need to stay in the fridge till consumed.

I just put a batch in the fridge for drinking after a week or so & leave'em there. but after they're carbed & conditioned fully,you could store them in a cool basement till fridge time. That'd help preserve flavor till then.

*noob question alert*

After 2 or so weeks in the fridge to allow cold haze to settle, can they be brought out of the fridge and stored somewhere cool in my place ( I could chill again for consumption) or do they need to stay in the fridge till consumed.

I too am wondering this!

*noob question alert*

This would be ideal for me as well, however wouldnt the chill haze process begin all over again once its been added back in the fridge? Hm I dont know. I dont have the space for 30+ bottles of beer in the fridge, I will generally just plan and chill a day before I want to consume.

Latest posts

Back