Cold Crashing/Filtering Out Excess Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
Sup peeps?

I have a batch that has 6oz of dry hops in it. I routinely cold crash my beer. I have done so with this one. I'm on day 4 of cold crashing yet there is still plenty of hops floating around in the beer.

I will go a few more days but at this point I'm not sure it will settle out as I have hoped for.

Do you guys/gals have any suggestions/ideas to help the remaining hop particles settle out?

I will be bottling this batch.

I only use pellets in the fermentor, and they usually have totally hit the bottom by the time the cold crash reaches 50F, nevermind the terminal 36F.
Are you using whole cones? Not sure if they'd take longer/colder to drop...

Cheers!

I am using pellets. The current temperature is 38.

Day trippr, have you ever dry hopped with 6oz or more of pellets?

I just cold crashed and kegged an IPA with 5oz of pellets in the dry hop. Most of the Hop matter dropped into the cone within the first 24 hours. Some hops are still in suspension which i find typical but I will hit the keg with some gelatin to clear it.

I am using pellets. The current temperature is 38.
Day trippr, have you ever dry hopped with 6oz or more of pellets?

Not quite, I just checked my hoppy-est recipe and it used 5.5 ounces in each fermentor.
As I recall there was nothing notable about it wrt cold-crashing...

Cheers!

Sometimes a pile of hops float on top, swirling the fermentor will get the cold water on top of the hops making them heavier and sinking them.

When I dry hop, it is usually 3-5 days (depending), and at room temp that is enough time to sink all the hops. You infer that you are dry-hopping and immediately c-c'ing. If so, you might want to try dry-hopping a couple days minimum at room temp (or until you can see the majority of hops have sunk) and then c-c. Things simply "dissolve" better in warmer liquids.

I have used a paint strainer bag (nylon mesh) over my siphon to transfer without the hop matter.

I also tried it with polyester voile, but that didn't work at all - the beer couldn't transfer through the voile quickly enough to keep the siphon going.

When I dry hop, it is usually 3-5 days (depending), and at room temp that is enough time to sink all the hops. You infer that you are dry-hopping and immediately c-c'ing. If so, you might want to try dry-hopping a couple days minimum at room temp (or until you can see the majority of hops have sunk) and then c-c. Things simply "dissolve" better in warmer liquids.

No Sir I am not implying that. I dry hopped for 7 days at room temp. I then moved to my fridge for cold crashing.

The majority of the hops are out of suspension however there are still some particles. Prefer to have it all drop out if possible.

No Sir I am not implying that. I dry hopped for 7 days at room temp. I then moved to my fridge for cold crashing.

The majority of the hops are out of suspension however there are still some particles. Prefer to have it all drop out if possible.

Sorry I didn't gather that from your post. If you haven't tried gelatin, it's worth a try. My process is: after dry-hopping is complete, cold-crash for 24 hours, add gelatin, leave for another 3-4 days. Crystal-clear beer every time. Wish you the best.

It doesn't matter at this point as I'm not doing gelatin. I ended up making my fridge a bit colder. Will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back