Cold Crashing/Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwittman

Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of cider in a commercial walk-in at my buddy's restaurant. It's been there for about a week and while it had settled some, it's def not clear. The only part that is close to what i would call "clear' is the top 2 inches.

How long does it take to clear when cold crashing? I want to get these baby's in bottles for christmas. As a n00b all help is always appreciated.

thanks.

Should be clearer than that after a week in a walk in. Are you sure it hasn't been disturbed? How cold is the walk in? Did you boil or heat any of the juice for your cider?

There was no boiling, and not enzymes added. I just pitched the yeast and watched it go. The cider was straight from a mill. I drove down and the filled 2 5 gallon carboys. The not sure on the exact temp as i forgot to look at the thermometer but i would guess around 38, maybe colder? I was thinking one week to cold crash/clear then bottle carb and it would be drinking by xmas. oh well...

Not sure if it matters but, i also didn't rack it before cold crashing. i was hopping to rack once it cleared then possibly crash again to really clear it up.

You don't have to rack it before cold crashing. I think that Pectin Enzyme is advantageous because it will knock out a lot of crap before fermentation. Everyone says you're not suppose to but I rack mine off the sediment from the pectin e. before I add the yeast.

I was trying to go as natural as possible for the first shot. hense didn't really do anything but get the best quality fresh juice i could afford and pitch yeast. I really wanted to make a normandy style, but was affraid to try keeving. I think next time i'm going to try and keev it and possibly do natural yeast...

Could the volume have anything to do with the speed it's crashing? I know fermentation is completely stopped, but i just can't get it to clear as fast as i thought it would...

Latest posts

Back