Cold Crashing before racking to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneBrewing

Reaction score
I am brewing Northern Brewer's 115th Dream Hopburst Blend and I put the primary in the garage for a couple days now. I wasn't thinking. Well, I was, but I was thinking that it was time to bottle and it is far from that. The recipe calls for it to sit in secondary for about 4 weeks. So anyway, is it OK to cold crash before transferring to Secondary?? If not, is it going to be OK to bring back to room temp for a couple days and then transferring?? I wouldn't even bother transferring to secondary but this beer has about a pound of hops in it so there is a lot of trub. Thanks in advance for advice guys.

My friend made this and said he wished he didn't wait the recommended 2 months before bottling.

My friend made this and said he wished he didn't wait the recommended 2 months before bottling.

Any more info as WHY he said that??

Keep in mind, two people making the exact same brew at two different physical locations can have very different end results.

Just transfer to your secondary. You did no harm in "cold crashing". Get it off the trub and yeast cake, let it mellow a few weeks and you can always cold crash it later if you want to.

Loop

Looking over the sheet from that recipe... Chances are, you'll get a great brew by letting it stay in primary for 4-8 weeks. Just move it to your siphon location the day before you plan to rack to the bottling bucket (being careful to disturb as little of the trub as possible). Make up the priming solution, rack, and bottle as normal...

After all, this IS just an IPA...

I would start tasting it after a month (or so) on the yeast... Once it's ready for bottling, go for it. I don't see any valid reason to rack into a bright tank for this.

Any more info as WHY he said that??

Keep in mind, two people making the exact same brew at two different physical locations can have very different end results.

Forgot to include that part. He thought the aroma and flavor dissipated with such a long time from brew date to drinking the beer. The recipe is showing almost three months before its ready to drink, i think is entirely way to long for an IPA. If it was me three weeks in the primary would be more than enough for this beer any imperfections would be masked by the huge hop character of the beer.

They probably should change the sheet to have the 0 minutes hops actually be dry hopping 1-2 weeks prior to bottling. That way you can give the yeast enough time to clean up after itself, and taste really great, and still have the hop flavor/aroma you want...

So I ended up cold crashing into the secondary and I will cold crash again before bottling. Hopefully there is enough yeast for it finish conditioning in the secondary. It was around 40 degrees when I racked to secondary. Let you know how it turns out.

Back