cold crashing and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilGordon

Reaction score
hello everyone, this is my first post so I hope I don't get killed asking what might seem as a simple question.

I have been reading on these forums for the past few months and have made my first IPA and now I have attempted to make my first cider. I have followed the directions on making the applekush cider and I have a few general questions about the bottling process.

The recipe talks about kegging it and me being all new, I have not advanced my way into kegging but see myself moving towards that direction shortly. My question is the following.

I am reaching the 2 week mark and just pulled a gravity test on my cider I have in the secondary. Its sitting at 1.004 and is where I would like it to be for bottling. I started off at 1.06 so that puts me in the 7% range. I am still getting some slight bubbling in the air lock but I am where I want to be in regards to flavor and alcohol content. To stop the fermentation process is this where I cold crash it to stop the process? And if so will this affect me when I go to carbonate it for bottling?

I also see the priming sugar calculators and they are all listing beers in their pre selected menus. Can I use this to figure how much sugar to add or should I be looking at something else to figure this out?

Thank you in advance and hope all comes out well. Really enjoying this new hobby!

Welcome to the world of cider.

You can't stop the fermentation and bottle carbonate. Even if you cold crash and let the cider clear, once it's bottled it'll pick up again and continue to ferment whatever sugar was left.

If it's still bubbling in secondary it's not done. If you used S-04 as the recipe suggested then you might get lucky and it'll stay close to 1.004, but that's not guaranteed. I would let it go in secondary until it drops perfectly clear then deal with sweetness level at bottling time (you have options there). But be aware that cider ain't beer - the process is simple, but it takes longer to finish.

For the priming calculators, pick a style with 2.4 - 2.6 volumes of CO2 or just put 2.5 in the volumes box.

"There are no stupid questions, as all questions lead to enlightenment." I also have just cold crashed cider for two days before bottling as I'm needing it for a party. Just try things out mate and see what happens, learn from your mistakes and take detailed notes.
Check out on YouTube Brewmaster Ben or Secue01 and their turbo cider videos. I leaned a lot.

Back