Cold Crashing and Banana esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlowefire

Reaction score
I recently brewed a banana bread ale, with WLP 300. Fermented at 74F and the banana smell is AMAZING. Its a darker beer, color is about that of a newcastle brown ale.

I want to Keg this. Fermentation is done. My question is thus:

Can I cold crash this beer before i transfer to the keg and NOT lose my banana esters? Or rather would Cold crashing this beer cause my esters to go away (or create even more?)

My main reason for cold crashing is just to clear the beer, not clean up the esters. I want them there for the banana goodness.

In my experience the esters produced from fermentation are there to stay, yes esters are less noticeable when the beer is colder, but for example if you let a Belgian beer warm up to 70*f and then take a taste the esters will be much more present. So cold crash your beer then transfer. Serve at the proper serving temperature and your esters will still be present.

hopsalot said:
In my experience the esters produced from fermentation are there to stay, yes esters are less noticeable when the beer is colder, but for example if you let a Belgian beer warm up to 70*f and then take a taste the esters will be much more present. So cold crash your beer then transfer. Serve at the proper serving temperature and your esters will still be present.

Thanks and dude you're from corpus?!?! I grew up there off everhart. Went to Carroll high school.

yeah I've been here for about 6 years now, pretty good brewing scene going on now, you ever go to B&J's Pizza? We will have our brew pub up and running next month, im the assistant brewer. If you ever come back check it out!

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back