Cold Crashing a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
I recently just started cold crashing and it has made my beers so much better than not. I know a hefeweizen is supposed to have a lot of yeast, but they are gunna drop anyways when I keg it. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I've cold-crashed many batches of hefe. No harm will come of it. You will still end up with yeast in suspension.

On the other hand, it may be a matter of definition. When I was cold-crashing hefe, it was primary 7 days (or so), ramp it down to as close to 35F as it'll go over three days, let it sit at 35 for a week. Then rack it to the bright tank, force-carb, and package.

Bob

Bob, you say it will still end up with yeast in suspension. I assume this means there will be enough yeast to bottle condition, which is what I do. Does it also mean the beer will still be characteristically hazy or will it be clear, like when cold-crashing a pale ale or something similar?

Never ever worry about cold conditioning dropping too much yeast out unless you're doing it for a billion years. I cold crash everything. Granted my wits are crashed after only about 10 days and I don't crash them for more than about 24 hours. I want some yeast in there, but I want some junk to fall out too.

Also, I have a pale ale that I didn't cold crash...took it a week in the keg for it to clear up. Every pour was like a beer milkshake.

Back