Cold Crash without a fridge...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperypick

Reaction score
It's been suggested that a cold crash of my AG Pumpkin Ale would be a better way of clarifying the brew than racking to a secondary.
I've never done a cold crash and actually know very little about it. I don't have the fridge space to throw a fermenter in. Is there a simple way of doing a cold crash that doesn't involve a fridge? How long does a crash take?

There is a simple way to get clear beer that doesn't require cold crashing. It's called gravity and time. Leave your beer in the fermenter longer and it will clear just the same as cold crashing.

It's a little more labor intensive, but you could get a big plastic tub, fill it with water, toss the carboy in and keep switching out frozen water bottles a few times daily.

Before I had my fridge I would do "cool crashing." I had a small cooler that fit the carboy and I would take about 6-8 ice packs and build an ice "stonehedge" around the carboy. Do this at night and switch it out in the morning. That is all. Probably will drop the beer into the 50s for 24 hours but strangely enough, I got some of my clearest beer ever that way. Even with my fridge now, I still do it from time to time.

I use a cooler and a lot of ice. They reach 35 to 41F.
Let them sit for 48h and it's done! Patience is a plus, always...

Has anyone just left the fermenter outside? I was thinking about doing that with my current beer. It's usually pretty cold here, but slightly above freezing for a little while longer.

Has anyone just left the fermenter outside? I was thinking about doing that with my current beer. It's usually pretty cold here, but slightly above freezing for a little while longer.

I have 4 fermenters in my garage right now. Just make sure you cover them with a towel, shirt, or anything else to protect from light exposure

I have 4 fermenters in my garage right now. Just make sure you cover them with a towel, shirt, or anything else to protect from light exposure

If you're going to actually put the them outside (like on the porch) where they might get exposed to sunlight, something more opaque than a shirt or towel is called for.

Back