Cold crash still hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed an all grain ESB style right after thanksgiving. I let it ferment about 2 weeks and had a stable FG for 3 days. After the 3rd day I moved the fermenter into my beer fridge which dropped it from 68 down to the low 50s. I THOUGHT this would make the beer crystal clear.

After kegging and carbing I have noticed the flavors are basically spot on for what I was looking for but the beer is hazy and definitely not clear. I didn't use any whirl flock or Irish moss so maybe that was it. But anyone have any other ideas?

Usually, "cold crashing" means reducing the beer to just above freezing temperatures. sometimes a drop of 10 degrees is enough to clear the beer, but not usually.

The beer may clear more with time.

How did you chill your wort? Maybe you didn't get a good cold break. If you want to clear the beer, try gelatin.

Thanks guys. I think next time some worl flock will be in order.

I use a copper chiller got down to temps reasonably fast. Maybe could have cold crashed colder would have done it but didn't really have ability other than using the beer fridge.

Unfortunately, the temp you are crashing at is a bit too warm to do much good unless you let it sit there a couple of weeks.

Back