Cold break in or out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvc15

Reaction score
When I make a beer I usually end up boiling all the wort including the hot break into the fermentor, at this point my beers are still pretty clear when bottled.

I made my first full mash last weekend and pumped my wort through a hop rocket and chill plate which cools 5 gallons really fast, it entered the fermenter at 68-70- like norm except it had hardcore cold break floating in it- more than ever... Whats up with that... Shoudn't the hop rocket have blocked it? Is that cold break good for fermentation?

Using a boilermaker with no additional fitter, help please!

As the name implies, cold break forms as the wort chills. When you use a plate chiller you're going to end up with more in the fermenter than if you used an immersion chiller in the BK because it's forming in the plate chiller. In my experience it's not really anything to worry about.

I chilled my last pm pale in an ice bath to 70F. Then strained into fermenter. Got out 3 really cold gallons of spring water & poured that through the strainer in a circular pattern too to aerate it better. Temp of wort shot down to 66F. By th time I pitched & it sat less than an hour,I had 1L of trub & cold break in my fermenter. 4 weeks later,that compressed down to 1/3L. I got 51 bottles out of that batch a week ago.

By the way,the settling cold break doesn't have much effect on the beer,save for maybe less chill haze producing protiens later.

Back