Coffin Keezers...how tall is too tall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBrock

Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning/designing for my new keezer. I'm going with a coffin design but I'm starting to get concerned about the height. My current plan is to use the Danby 10.2 cu ft freezer on a platform with casters & a 5.5" collar. That puts the height of the bar at about 46". Those of you with coffin keezers, how tall is yours and are you satisfied with that height?

I can probably shave of a little height by redesigning the base and using a shorter collar.

That does sound pretty tall. Mine is 36" to the top of the collar and it is a bit of a PITA lifting full kegs in. Of course I am a kinda short, weakling girl so keep that in mind.

I'm 6', my wife is 5'8", but I don't want to exclude people from drinking beer! Okay, I'm going to cut down the height a bit. My research suggests that you only need 2 inches over a ball lock keg for the disconnect (I'm going to measure this myself before committing). If I move the CO2 to the outside I can use a shorter collar and cut that 46" down to 43" or so.

To fit kegs on the compressor hump you could get some pin locks (which are shorter) and convert them to ball locks.

Back