Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Today I'm drinking Starbucks as opposed to the usual Dunkin' Donuts coffee (only reason I drink Dunkin' Donuts is because work provides it for free) and my taste buds are awake and at full attention.

I believe this is their Sumatra but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyway, the point is I am getting really awesome earthy hop notes from it. Am I crazy here or has anyone else noticed this? I don't think I've ever had Sumatra and if I have, it was before I started drinking my coffee black, so I never picked up on this flavor.

Anyway, I'm really loving this... but not enough to pay for starbucks everyday. But I'll enjoy this cup while it lasts.

Learn to roast your own. You can do it in a cast iron pan or a popcorn popper. There's a guy on ebay who's green coffee beans usually go for about $2 a pound. They work great. That's the best way to drink coffee in my opinion.

In order to get a consistent taste Starbucks tends to over-roast their beans... try a light roast coffee from a local roaster and then you'll really start to pick out interesting flavors.

Check out Sweet Maria's pictorial roasting guide for good info on how coffee flavor changes with the roast.

I am pretty sure I am going to catch some flak for this but...

For the price of the Starbucks cup of coffee, you can head into a Walmart and buy a bag of Sam's choice Sumatra coffee. I really like it but I tend to make mine REALLY strong (It's ready when the horse shoe floats...) so I mix it with a lighter roast (Still a Sam's choice brand) and it is wonderful.

I also add in a bit of carmel syrup and a lil sugar in the raw and it is perfect. So for 12 dollars I get months supply of coffee and have more loot to spend on beer!

There is a coffee forum here....this topic may be better discussed there!

Link: http://www.coffeeforum.com/forum/

:rockin:

Back