Coffee & Star Anise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
What are the opinions on mixing coffee and star anise into a stout? Would they go well together you think or are they better off separate from eachother?

Just an idea.

I've been considering (for a future brew, probably very far off for me) making a coffee flavored beer, and also recently started wondering about star anise. I bet they would taste pretty good together.

Sorry I can't answer your question (I'm quite new, only making my first brew now), but wanted to post to say I'd bet they taste good together. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

I'm also curious if this is something you can do without a secondary ferment.

I would venture a guess and that it wouldnt be a good combo. They use star anise in sambuca liquor which sorta taste like those nasty black jelly beans.

Be very careful with star anise, at natl homebrew day yesterday Fishkid brought some black licorice stout made with star anise and it was one of those beers that you either loved or hated. I was on the side of the h8tors. You have to really like black licorice to want to use it. It is one overpowering spice.

What are the opinions on mixing coffee and star anise into a stout? Would they go well together you think or are they better off separate from eachother?

Just an idea.

IMO this sounds like something worth trying.

As other have said, if you don't like licorice-like flavors, then you probably wouldn't like it. However, I think an anise flavor in something like a coffee stout or a RIS would be quite good. (I'm picturing Old Rasputin with just a touch of anise in the background)

I say go for it!

A little star anise goes a long, long, long way. I made a metheglin with star anise in place of cloves, because my brother is allergic to cloves. One cluster of star anise to a 3 gal batch, and the licorice flavor was overpowering. Now at 8 months it is mellowing out and becoming an intrigueing mead. I would just go with vanilla and coffee for my stout, but thats just my own opinion. If you do use star anise, I would use no more than a single cluster and then expect to age it for a while to mellow.:mug:

Back