Coffee Grounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinaz5000

Reaction score
New at this, and even though I found better ways, I ended up adding coffee grounds to the fermenter for my first stout. I know I should have probably used beans or just added brewed coffee.

Its only 5 days in and a lot of the grounds settled to the bottom, but there are quite a bit floating around.

If it doesn't all settle, I'm thinking this batch might be ruined. I can probably filter the grounds at bottling, but that would also filter the yeast that I need for conditioning, right? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm sure they will settle out with a little time. If for some reason they don't at room temp, they definitely will if chilled down for a week or two.

Coffee grounds? Like from a hot brewed coffee? Not good. That's actually what Guinness reminds me of (stale, burnt coffee grounds).

If you want to add coffee to your beer, it's best to cold brew some course ground coffee in the fridge overnight, filter or French press it, and then add to taste at bottling. The cold brewing will allow you to avoid the astringent flavor which comes from adding hot brewed coffee.

Just let it set. A month in the secondary.

Afer that you will get the slightest dusting of trub in the bottle. Maybe some coffee grounds. Not a lot though.

I made a mocha stout once and the trub tasted like chocolate covered expresso beans.

First of all filtering will NOT remove the yeast you need to carb your beer.

As said above add cold brewed coffee to the bottling bucket a little at a time TILL YOU LIKE THE TASTE. I use 1 cup in 2 gallons.

Your beer IS NOT ruined. Relax and have a cold one.

Latest posts

Back