Coffee and cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
So I'm planning on adding the 4 oz of cocoa nibs that came with my NB chocolate milk stout extract kit. I'm going to soak them in some vodka for a couple of weeks and add the solution to secondary. Should I crush the cocoa nibs before I speak them?

I would also like to add some coffee flavor to the brew on secondary. Should I use beans or cold brewed coffee? Can any one provide me a recipe for cold brewed coffee if that I'd the preferred method?

As always, grateful for everyone's input!

I've never crushed the cocoa nibs when I used them. As for coffee, I like the cold brewed coffee and the way I do it is to grind the beans, soak them in room temperature water for a day, then pour through a coffee filter.

I do crush the nibs a little in a ziplock bag and then put them in vodka. I also include 2 or 3 vanilla beans split and cut up to give more of a milk chocolate flavor rather than bitter bakers chocolate.

For cold brew, I cool 2 1/2 cups of boiled water and add 1/2 cup mild coffee grounds. Put it in the fridge for 24 hours and run through a coffee filter to yield 2 cups of cold brew.

My last mocha stout (5 gal) I used 3 oz nibs and 3 vanilla beans soaked in vodka for 5 days and added 1 week before bottling. I added the 2 cups of cold brew to the bottling bucket. It came out just right. Everyone's taste is different so adjust accordingly.

You can use extract but be sure it's pure extract and not imitation. I get vanilla beans at my local Stop & Shop. My LHBS also sometimes carries them. To prepare them, split them and scrape the seeds out. Then cut into pieces and add everything (including the scrapings) into a jar and add just enough vodka to cover them. You can add the nibs to the same jar. Soak for a few days or a few weeks - whatever you want. Then add the entire contents to the fermenter 4 - 7 days before bottling/kegging. Some people just add the tincture (vodka) but I put it all in. Figure out what works for you.

Back