Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla in Alc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't disagree, but will suggest that one likes the rum to start with. And maybe even taste tests a tiny bit in their beer.

I found a local made vodka that's stellar for this. It's smooth and almost vanilla flavored (it's not flavored). Makes a lousy bloody mary but a great white russian and ditto for tinctures. I've found the same with bourbon as well, a few ml's in an Imperial Stout pour can be delicious, but certain bourbons work a lot better than others.

I guess I'm just suggesting a taste-test before committing. I'm sure nothing will be bad, but some might be better.

Any cheap/moderately priced dark rum will do, such as Bacardi black. Fanciness in the rum won't come through with this process.

Just make sure it's not spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan).
I just retired a sample on a baking sheet. 250* for 12 min and 8 minutes into I smelled brownies. Let it go entire 12 and pulled. Now I'm going to redo it 250* at 8 minutes and pull it. When I first smell brownies just to see visually and taste one but my palette hates these. Haha gross

I'm noticing after trying samples and samples the darker nibs when roasting taste like roasted nuts. No chocolate. So I'm trying to find the sweet spot in my oven to roast but but get to that dark color on a few

What are you aiming for? Forget color. Go for flavor, as indicated by smell.

What beer is this going into?
Day trippr's imperial stout. I'm copying to try a stout. Just roasted. @ 250* 4 min, 6min, 10 min. Gonna taste em side by side. But color wise they all match.

Are the nibs for strictly aroma of the beer. Nothing to do with flavor? If thats the case. I'll stop eating these like cereal trying to find the tasty roast because they all ick! Hahaha

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_205011046.jpg
    PXL_20240103_205011046.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back