Coconut Flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience with that product but in general it is best to use unsweetened raw coconut flakes from the baking aisle then toast them yourself.

I would look at the back of the package and see how they are sweetened. If it is with sugar or corn syrup you are going to get a bit of re-fermentaion. If it is with a sweetener like stevia then you will be adding unfermentable sugar sweetness to the beer.

To get a solid coconut flavor I used 18oz of unsweetened "Bob Mills" brand shredded coconut in 5.5 gallons. I toasted the coconut for 20-30 minutes @ 325° string once halfway through. It will go from toasted to burnt quickly so pay attention. I dump that straight in primary loose. It tends to form a cap and can be avoided pretty easily when racking. I do sanitize a hop sack and place it over my racking hose to catch any stay pieces just in case.

Thanks for the info! This was a last minute thing to change up an older brew. I'll be sure to purge occasionally.

I've done a couple brews with coconut flakes. I agree with everything @jekeane says about toasting your own and watching out for the sweetened kind.

One thing to be careful of is coconut flakes are a mess. The oil / fat from the coconut permeates the beer and can result in a nasty "oil slick" at the top of your bottles if you are bottling. Also tiny chunks will make it through the auto-siphon and into your bottling bucket. After having these issues the first time I made my coconut stout, I decided to remove the bag of coconut flakes and cold crash for a few days and attempt to scrape off all the oil/fat that solidified at the top of my fermenter. This greatly reduced the amount of junk that moved on when I racked to my keg.

I don't use the sweetened but Ive used regular flaked to dry hop kegs. 8oz for a few days really nails it IIRC. Last time I did this on a stout along with 4oz cocoa nibs and it tasted like a FB Last Snow clone.

Honestly, I didn't read closely an didn't realize they were sweet until I tried a handful (after they had been added) But thanks for the timing info. I will try it this weekend to see how it is coming along.

I don't use the sweetened but Ive used regular flaked to dry hop kegs. 8oz for a few days really nails it IIRC. Last time I did this on a stout along with 4oz cocoa nibs and it tasted like a FB Last Snow clone.

After reading your post I decided to taste daily. Wow! Just pulled a sample after 24 hours and can already taste it. Thanks for the heads up.

I once used coconut flakes in my secondary, 3lbs for 2.5gal beer. I think the coconut formed a cap and oxygen couldn't escape. The beer soured on me. So don't follow my mistakes, though it sounds like you're using a much safer and smaller amount.

Back