Coconut and Cacao Nibs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anotherbeerplease

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a Black Tuesday inspired very high abv stout. Black Tuesday is 19-20%abv and that is what I'm shooting for.

I want to use coconut and cacao... any tips on them? How do you sanitize them for use if added to secondary?

Thanks for any tips!

I'm wanting to brew a Black Tuesday inspired very high abv stout. Black Tuesday is 19-20%abv and that is what I'm shooting for.

I want to use coconut and cacao... any tips on them? How do you sanitize them for use if added to secondary?

Thanks for any tips!

You'll want to toast both the nibs and the coconut. No additional sanitizing is necessary, especially at 18% ABV.

Thanks for any tips!
Put them in post fermentation. Your best bet is to put LOTS of coconut in. If you're worried about an infection soak them in a neutral spirit and add everything in all at once.

I make a chocolate coconut stout and use a handful of coconut per gallon. Idk why... just makes sense.

I usually toast the coconut flakes and put them in a muslin bag then toss them in after fermentation is complete. You might see a white-ish oil slick on top of the beer after a week or so but it's just the coconut oil. I left mine in there for 2 weeks. I'd probably do it for a month next time as the coconut faded fairly quickly once packaged.

I normally soak my cacao nibs in whiskey and then add to my primary at the end of fermentation

Back