Cocoa Nibs to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibarra

Reaction score
Made a stout and I was expecting more out of the flavor. Thinking about adding cocoa nibs to the keg for a party that will be in five days.
Can this work in giving it more flavor (chocolate flavor)? If so, how much should I put in? And… Do you think five days will be enough? Any advise and/or experience with this is much appreciated.:mug:

I did a stout and a porter both with cocoa nibs a couple years ago. They were both higher in alcohol - 9ish.

I left them on the nibs for a month with 250g added to each 5 gallons. The chocolate flavor was mellow but still noticeable and didn't overwhelm the malt. The problem with the nibs is their relatively low surface area when compared with cocoa powder. You'd have to mix it in and then let it settle out.

Cocoa powder would take more time than you have to settle out IMO...
Nibs from my experience would take longer than you have...

Do you have any old JOAM sitting around? It's not even remotely close but it's a quick way to add a little something extra. Plus, I hear adding mead is a contributing factor to jamil zainashef's numerous wins.

IF you are only going 5 days, I would boil 4oz nibs in a bit of water to extract the flavors quickly and sanitize them. Then add all of this solution into the primary before kegging

How about crush the nibs into large chunks, then simmer in some of your beer and then add the resulting mixture back in. Yes, you'll probably boil off some alcohol, but two - three cups isn't going to make much difference. And you won't be adding anything that's not already in your beer. Then again, a couple cups of water isn't going to water down your beer much either, but the idea is to keep as much original flavor and only add a little bit of chocolate flavor.

Back