CO2 to Dispense Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtcweb

Reaction score
After falling in love with kegging on the beer side I was wondering if anyone has used a CO2 system to serve wine out of a 1-3 gallon container? I know if the pressure is up in the normal beer range you could get carbonated wine, but what if it was only in the 1-2psi range? I would still bottle some for long term aging, but for everyday drinking it might be a good way to serve just a glass at a time rather than opening a whole bottle.

A second reason I love kegging beer is I can dispense just what I want. I've found we usually only drink 1/3 - 1/2 a bottle of wine in a sitting and then you have the leftover wine to decide what to do with.

I don't know if I've gotten my set up to run in the 1-2 range. You might want to think about nitrogen. It's insoluble in liquid (except for a tiny amount) and you wouldn't have to worry about carbonated wine. You'd just need and adapter for the threads of your existing regulator.

We have wine on tap at the restaurant/bar I work at. Comes in 5 gallon kegs. Forget what psi its at (I can check today when I go in). We're using 70/30 nitrogen/co2 to push if I remember correctly. No carbonated wine, no oxidation, and a lot easier for us when it gets busy. I'll try to get some info at work today and relay it later on.

Argon used to be the traditional inert gas used to serve wine on tap, but nitrogen can work as well

Argon used to be the traditional inert gas used to serve wine on tap, but nitrogen can work as well

True. Granted for our bar it was easier to use the nitrogen mix we already had set up to push a couple of our stouts. Argon works great as well and they were thinking about doing that when we first opened. Either is a viable option.

Back