CO2 Set-up Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I am brand new to kegging... and pretty much homebrewing as a whole. I apologize if I am repeating questions, but I have a hard time finding what I specifically need in the forums. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a 2-guage regulator for my CO2 tank, or will a 1-guage work? Why/why not?

2. How much is the the life of the CO2 within the tank diminished by storing it in the refrigerator?

3. I want to run 3-4 kegs from one CO2 tank. What specifically will I need to allow all 3-4 taps to run simultaneously (without having to switch hoses or anything)?

4. Once carbonated, must a keg remain connected to the CO2 tank to allow serving?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

1. No, but I haven't seen any regulators with only one gauge. Usually, there's a gauge for tank pressure, which is not required, and a gauge for regulated pressure leaving the tank, which is required.

2. None

3. Several options... You can get by with several wye fittings or splitters, a manifold, or a secondary regulator.

Edit: You can also combine any and all of these for a multitude of possibilities.

4. Yes and no. You can take it off the gas and it will continue to pour, but the gas pressure will diminish over time and the beer will eventually go flat. The better practice is to leave it connected and on the gas until the keg is empty.

Try a search on Keezer builds.., there are hundreds of pages and responses to some really cool and simple builds with complete parts lists... Craigslist is a great place to look for used parts...

Otherwise what LLBeanJ said...

Thanks for the reply!

1. I've seen gauges that only have the output, but not the tank pressure. Would there be a significant drawback to this?

3. Would something like this work as a manifold to split the CO2 out to different kegs? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CTXDIU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Tank pressure is nice to have, but it's not reliable as a gauge for fill level. It will show a consistent pressure until you are almost entirely out of gas, then it drops rapidly. I get maybe a half dozen pours before it goes completely empty once it starts dropping. The warning is nice, but not really necessary for me as I keep a full backup tank on hand and swap it out as soon as the first one goes empty. It comes down to individual preference I guess. Pretty much any gauge purchased from a home brew supply is going to have it, so it's not a decision many of us have to ponder.

The manifold you linked to may work, but it's designed for 1/8" ID hose and that is about 2-3X smaller than what most of us use. I also don't know if the 1/8 tubing can withstand the 30 or so PSI that you may subject it to for burst carbing and lid sealing. As such, I strongly recommend you buy equipment that is designed for kegging. I'd go with this.

Also, before you start buying equipment, think about what you want to be able to do. For example, are you going to be content with a single pressure setting for all your kegs? If so, then a single body regulator and either a manifold or a series of splitters will do the job. If you are going to want to be able to control the pressure going to each keg independently, then you'll want to go with a single body regulator and multi-body secondary regulator. Maybe having two pressure settings would work most of the time, in which case you can buy a dual body primary regulator and split the two outputs with a wye or a manifold. Of course you can do one thing now and change it up later (like adding a secondary regulator), but I like to plan ahead and buy what I need only once if I can manage it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started kegging and want the ability to force carb and serve at the same time so I would either have 2 tanks each with own regulator or do a multi body reg. It depends on budget and refrigerated space availability. I have several small fridges and a decent budget so I will prob have two tank setups.Already got a bulk tank to service my 5 lber(s). This way I can designate seperate fridges for serving or carbing. Of course if you like stouts,soda..............

Back