CO2 Ran Out Too Soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrewcrew

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging. I just finished my first keg and was cleaning everything out to fill and get the next batch going. When I was setting everything back up, i noticed my CO2 tank was empty. From what I have seen a 5 pound tank should last longer than 5 gallons of beer, right? It's all new equipment and don't know of any leaks. Any ideas what to do/check? I had my pressure set at 12 PSI for serving. That's good for an ale, right? I'm supposed to leave the CO2 open all the time or do I turn it off when it's carbed up and being served?

Five pound should last you for quite a while. I bet you have a leak somewhere. Mix up a solution of dish soap and water and "wash" any connections. Watch for bubbles. If you see bubbles, you have a leak.

Yes 12 psi is perfect. And no you need to keep the co2 on while serving.

You didn't do anything wrong that I can tell. Just a normal leak. I'm currently fighting to find one too

Sent from myPhone

In general you should be able to carb and serve between 5 and 10 gal of beer with one pound of CO2. Your pressure is fine, and you should be able to leave the gas on all the time. You have a slow leak somewhere. Submerge everything you can in water, spray everything else with soapy water, and look for bubbles.

Back