CO2 Quandary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickpruitt

Reaction score
I'll be building keezer soon and I'm not entirely sure where the best place to put my CO2 tank is. A home brewer I know with more experience than me told me to keep it on the outside of the keezer because for whatever reason he mentioned it doesn't function as well and I think takes more CO2 for the keg. On the other hand most of the pics I see of home made keezers have the tank on the inside. I'd like more input on the topic before I do my build. So CO2 tank on the inside of the keezer or the outside?

God Bless

I have a 20lb tank that I keep on the outside. I keep it on the outside so I have room for an additional keg.

Either is fine. Inside if aesthetics is important to you (important to SWMBO), outside if space is a concern. It it doesn't matter to you, I'd say outside just because it gives you more elbow room inside to move stuff and organize lines.

Outside is the way to go. More room inside. The more vs. less CO2 argument is phony. Just be careful when drilling!! Or better yet, don't drill. If you have to drill, peel away a little metal and carefully probe around for the coils. Do this at your own risk, you hit a coil, you break the freezer or $200-300 to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just be careful when drilling!! Or better yet, don't drill. If you have to drill, peel away a little metal and carefully probe around for the coils.

Unless you have a wood collar. Then drill away.

As already implied, options are dictated by the style of keezer. A collar makes the routing issue trivial, you can put a CO2 bulkhead pretty much anywhere you want. Sans collar things get more interesting, but one safe way to get CO2 into that style is to put a bulkhead on the back edge of the lid.

I wouldn't even chance drilling through the chassis on a chest freezer. Bad juju...

Cheers!

Back