CO2.....is it all the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REPO

Reaction score
So is all co2 the same? I mean you can buy it at welding shops, etc. it is used in paintball guns, etc. is there a food grade version?

I know that for airgas co2 up to 20# is certified as food grade. It is the same co2 used in larger, eg 50#, bottles but with a certification. Part of that certification is that the vessel is food grade. Does that make sense?

Yes, that is also what I was wondering but forgot to ask.......if there are food grade cylinders. I see conversion kits that allow the use of paintball gun cylinders, but those would not be food safe would they?

Yes, that is also what I was wondering but forgot to ask.......if there are food grade cylinders. I see conversion kits that allow the use of paintball gun cylinders, but those would not be food safe would they?

A paintball cylinder should work fine. Keep in mind that even stuff that isn't food grade will have no negative side effects. If you can you should use aluminum tanks. They way aluminum oxidizes will not put rust into your kegs.

FWIW, I have been thinking about getting a couple paintball tanks to run the jockey box as well as the ARB air lockers in my jeep... dual purpose? Why not!

Back