CO2 bubbles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caper44

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new to the home brew scene and hope I am posting in the right spot! I have a concern about a Coopers English Bitter that I have on the go, I started out with a OG of 1.04 and a temp of 20 c after 6 days in the primary and 2 consecutive days with FG reading of 1.01 I transferred to the secondary, after 11 days in the secondary I am seeing little bubbles rising from the bottom almost like it has been carbonated forming a little bit of foam at the top. I have not seen this happen with any prior brews and wondering what should I do? Do I wait for this to stop before I bottle? I tasted it and it tasted ok I think, it had a flat alcohol ( not overly strong) flavour with some bitterness!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418428806.783473.jpg
Not sure if pic is any help!
Thanks

That looks 100% normal to me. It does not sound like anything weird is going on. I've had bubbles in my secondary, before. The yeast are finishing the job they started in the primary. They're still active, albeit a much slower rate at this time. As long as it hasn't become infected, which it doesn't look like it in the pic (but that can take weeks to show) I say you're good to go. Keep in the secondary another 5 days and move to bottling.

Thanks steveheff, i was kind of thinking it was ok and from what I have been reading about infections I'm pretty sure I am ok as there isn't any off smells and like I was saying it tasted ok from what people say if it's infected you will definitely know by the smell and taste!! I will give it another 5 days or so and then bottle!

Back