CO2 and Nitro in 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutJTD

Reaction score
First Post!

Great Forum, thanks for all the info so far.

Here we go.

I want two build a 2 faucet tower kegerator with a Sanyo 4912.

I want one faucet to be a stout faucet.

I have read that you can get 80% of the benefits just using the appropriate faucet on CO2 - any opinions?

If I decide in the future I want to add nitrogen, would an additional tank fit inside a 4912 with the CO2 and 2 Cornies?

Or will i need to find a way to put another hole in the fridge?

Thanks,

-Jeff-

StoutJTD said:
If I decide in the future I want to add nitrogen, would an additional tank fit inside a 4912 with the CO2 and 2 Cornies?

Or will i need to find a way to put another hole in the fridge?
In my experience, 2 kegs and a 5# CO2 tank are a pretty tight fit, especially if you don't remove the inner molded door panel. I think it's very unlikely you could get a nitro tank in there unless it was very, very small.

Beer gas, combination of CO2 and N2, is used for stouts so that you can force the beer through a stout tap with a restrictor plate at higher pressure than you would be able to with straight C02. The N2 does not dissolve in the beer and therefore does not create excessive foaming. N2 also creates those smallish bubbles that contribute to the creamy head.

You may be able to create such an effect using CO2 but the effect will be short-lived. The higher pressure CO2 will overcarbonate your stout.

I suggest that you get the tap first and see what your experience is (since you will need it no matter which route you go.) You will have to change pressure for serving and storing, but you may find that it's doable.

I'm considering adding a beer gas tank to my 4912 at some point, but it won't fit in the fridge with a CO2 tank already in there if there are two kegs in it. You should be able to run a gas line through the drain hole in the back, but I haven't tried doing it.

So from all accounts the extra tank is a no go inside...

Thanks all...

Buford - saw your post on the 4912 conversion and will liely steal it all verbatim... thanks for posting the info.

-Jeff-

Latest posts

Back