Clustermess I just made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybrewmead

Reaction score
Honestly I wasn't gonna post this shameful display but here it goes.
I made my third batch last week. 2kg of plums, 4kg of honey. 14L batch. OG was 1.070 without calculating plums sugars.
7 days later the gravity reading is 1.002. So I went online to order 20L glass carboy to store it for secondary fermentation.
Later on I was reading about how a lot of airspace left in the carboys is bad for the mead and with this 14L batch I would have a lot of airspace left in 20L carboy.
After contemplating my options I decided to put in 2kg of honey and 1kg of plums in this 14L batch that is still fermenting and add on extra water to get to about 23L which after racking should fill the carboy to the top.
Gravity reading is 1.022 now. I have no idea what ABV will be and I probably oxidized it and ruined everything. Don't be like me. Think ahead :)

Totally agree - Oxidation is not an issue. Easy to calculate the potential ABV - your TOTAL volume of water is 23 L (or 6 gallons), your total amount of honey is 6 kg (or 13 lbs). by calculation 13 X .035/6 = 1.075 which has a potential ABV of ~10%. But if the nominal starting gravity was 1.075 and the gravity on April 24th. was 1.022 then the actual ABV on the 24th was 1.075- 1.022 = 1.053 which is ~7%.

IMG20230523063603.jpg

This one turned out to be quite delicious. Plums for the win. I'll leave it in the carboy for a few more months but im pleasantly surprised how it tastes at the moment!

Back