Clumpy, hardened DME still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I have some DME I use to make starters but the humidity has gotten to it and it has clumped up. It can still be crumbled. It doesn't appear to have mold or anything on it. I bought over 6 months ago, maybe more. Money isn't an issue. Just a trip to the brew store. I just use it for starters. Thanks!

It's just pulled some moisture from the air. Still ok to use it.

I used old dme that was rock hard for my last starter. It worked fine. Just throw it in and boil it like you normally would.

I've used my food sealer on DME and had it turn into a solid rock. Just steep it in hot water until it dissolves and then boil as normal.

You really have to be careful when using DME that has hardened. It can sink to the bottom of your kettle like a rock and scorch. I've had to go DME rock fishing in my kettle and that wasn't very fun. What I've done in the past is to draw off some wort (or water) that is hot and soak it in another smaller pot and just let it sit there for a while and start smashing it up. Then you just pour it in like LME and continue on. It takes a little bit of time but saves you a huge headache.

Back