club competition recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergus

Reaction score
I have a club competition where we will get 7lbs of 2-row, 2lbs of Vienna, and 1lb of Munich.
we are allowed to roast the grains, use any yeast, any amount of water, and use any hops.
I was thinking of roasting 4lbs of the 2-row, so I would have:
3lbs 2-row
4lbs ?? (would this be considered crystal? and the lovibond would be how much I roast it?)
2lbs Vienna
1 lb Munich

do a 5 gal batch with a FWH of something like centennial and pitch a Northern Brewer Neo Britannia yeast. (I already have that on hand)

I was also thinking of doing this as a Stein brew, I picked up some small granite rocks from a local quarry...

when I check this on my Brew Pal app, it comes out as a Scottish Export 80/-
(I have never had a Scottish Export, but it sounds delicious!)

what do you guys think? I figure it was $5 to enter, so I can really experiment with this one for cheap.

edit: I forgot to add that we cannot add any other flavors like honey, cinnamon, pumpkin, etc. BUT, if I heat the rocks on OAK wood, maybe some oaky-ness might come out in it...

On what basis is the competition judged? Best beer, most unique interpretation..? That would change how I handled it. If it's best beer, I'd go really straightforward with the ingredients and not alter them, and make a clean, balanced beer. If it is being judged on best transformation of the ingredients or something, then sure, roast up some grains. But don't do 4 lbs. for god's sake!

Not sure if we can smoke the malt. And the rules are pretty fuzzy about styles, etc...
So would 2lbs or less be sufficient? I am a newbie at this type of stuff, I usually get one of the proven recipes from this site or get a kit from NB...

Back