Clove off-flavor, but it's inconsistent.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xanatos903

Reaction score
I've been drinking bottles off and on of a red ale I brewed using Midwest's Boston Red kit. It's been about two months since I bottled, and it seems like about 1/3 of the bottles have a strong clove flavor to them. I understand that a high fermentation temperature can lead to phenols, but I'm puzzled about how it hasn't hit the whole batch.

Useful information:

1. Cleaned bottles, the sanitized in the dishwasher on dry cycle.
2. US-05 overattenuated, going from a SG of 1.043 to 1.005. No pellicles or any other sign of an infection. FG was stable for 3 days before bottling.
3. Fermented at 70* (a little high, but shouldn't it give the whole batch that flavor?)
4. Aroma is fine.
5. Used HEB brand spring water.
6. Everything is sanitized using one-step.

Could a few of the bottles have an infection that managed to make it through the dry cycle of the dishwasher? What do you guys think?

FWIW, I've gotten clove flavors when fermenting at 70 using US-04 or Nottingham. I realize that doesn't explain why it would only be in certain bottles...

Back