Cloudy Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I brewed two lagers last month, a German Pils and a Marzen. Both are in my keg fridge set at 48 degrees. The German Pils is a simple recipe; 8# German Pils, hersbrucker hops on White Labs 830 yeast. The Marzen is a little more complex with Vienna, Munich, carared, Hallertau on Wyeast Marzen.

The Marzen has settled out and is clearing. I normally ferment for a month at 48-50F, then rack to a keg and let it lager in the back of my kegerator until September.

But the German Pils is still very cloudy and has a substantial krausen on it. The airlock is not active, but it sure looks like the yeast is still very active which seems odd to me. I thought by now it should also have settled out??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alan

If you still have a krausen then your yeast is still working. Don't question the evidence. Let it go until the krausen dies off and your gravity is consistent.

Thanks Ron. I have been brewing for a while, but I have never been good at the RDWHAHB concept even though in most cases know that is the answer.

I am just surprised that it has taken a longer time than I expected to drop out.

These things happen. Yeast is a wild organism. It's going to do what it wants to an extent. We're just lucky that we can closely predict it's behavior.

Back