Cloudy IPA after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MChopz

Reaction score
I have an English IPA that has been sitting in primary fermentation for 4 weeks now and it is still super cloudy. I'm not sure what is causing it to be cloudy so I don't know what finings would be good to use for it. I'm going to give it another week in primary then switch to secondary for two weeks where it will be dry hopped for the last 7 days. I thought about cold crashing it when it's all done but I'm worried about keg transportation as I live 2 hours away from where I brew. I have the kegerator and my friend has the brewing setup at his place. I'm worried that the temperature fluctuation with cold crashing then transporting for 2 hours in the car will create some off flavors. Any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If its done fermenting I don't think you will get off flavors. Off flavors have to do with fermentation temps. Cold crashing then kegging should be fine. As long as you purge out the O2 with Co2.

If there is no light and no oxygen and the beer is fully fermented your golden. I've stored beer in a warm closet "in kegs" for weeks this way.

If you're really anxious about clarifying, you could add some gelatin when you add the dry hops (gelatin first).

What yeast did you use? What temperature is it sitting at? Is fermentation actually finished? Once you're sure it's finished crash chill it. That should do the trick as posted above.

If you've used US-05 or Wyeast 1056 I know from personal both of these strains are very poor at flocculating out of suspension.

Cold crashing primary or racking and crashing secondary should be fine, fining agents like gelatin or filtration are the next steps for the pedantic or competitive brewers.

Also even in UK IPA you can get protein haze from the amount of hops used.

I wouldn't worry about the transporting at all. Look at all the commercial stuff out there.

What yeast did you use? What temperature is it sitting at? Is fermentation actually finished? Once you're sure it's finished crash chill it. That should do the trick as posted above.

If you've used US-05 or Wyeast 1056 I know from personal both of these strains are very poor at flocculating out of suspension.

Cold crashing primary or racking and crashing secondary should be fine, fining agents like gelatin or filtration are the next steps for the pedantic or competitive brewers.

Also even in UK IPA you can get protein haze from the amount of hops used.

I wouldn't worry about the transporting at all. Look at all the commercial stuff out there.

I'm using WLP007 dry English ale. It's fermenting at about 68F. Would gelatin remove some of the hop oils if it's used after dry hopping?

I'm using WLP007 dry English ale. It's fermenting at about 68F. Would gelatin remove some of the hop oils if it's used after dry hopping?

I find that 007 cleans out quickly when chilled. It flocs really well.

Gelatin IMHO is best used after refrigerated when the chill haze is present. I would do it before force carbing (foaming) but definitely as cold as you can get it.

MChopz said:

That yeast should drop hard when it's done and chilled, I've heard reports and can understand the arguments as to why fining agents can strip hop aroma, also lots saying its fine. No practical experience of my own to add to that tho.

Personally, if its just for the private bar don't worry so much about clarity, competition entries are different.

Regardless what happens with it, I hope it tastes great! :)

Back